Sunday, November 25, 2012

Live and learn

No one really told the ear doctor and I how intense it is to have a new born baby. Or maybe people tried to tell us what it was like, but we didn't really get it. Because, to tell you the truth, it's really hard to describe just what it's like to have a new baby. I don't think I could totally capture how hard/awesome/totally engrossing the experience has been.

Last night I was at a breaking point. I sat on my bed at 9 pm, nursing my little baby while tears streamed down my face. The very thought of attempting another night of feeding him ever hour and a half literally broke my spirit.


My husband and in-laws rose to the challenge. I seriously don't know how people do this on their own...I have an amazing army ready to help lift me up when I think I can't do it.

I pumped a bottle of milk, moved his bassinet out of our room and my mother-in-law enabled the ear doctor and i to sleep straight from 1:30 am until 6 am.

It was glorious.  I woke up happier than I've been in the last 2 weeks.


I now know the perfect way to help a new mom...and I really wish I'd had this kind of perspective when I went out to "help" my little sister after she'd had her babies. I could have been so much better had I just known what to do!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have always been a fast learner and will soon have your list of quick tips. Sort through all the tips others give you and hit it head on! No it doesn't heart to let him cry a little, just strengthens his lungs. and mom keep smiling. love, g-jane

SFL 110 said...

Don't know with which child, but in the wee hours of the morning I considered hiring a local university student to stay up nights. Logical. They are up all hours anyway. They could just fetch the kid as necessary for feeding and I could sleep......never happened. Good luck to you. Aunti m

Calie said...

It's hard, really hard in the beginning. And the sleep deprivation sucks! But, it gets better. My son is 21 months old now. He was a chronic night waker until I sleep trained at 10 months. Should have done it sooner.

dad said...

Just remember, it's worth it. He will grow up to be as beautiful as his mother.

Mrs. Case said...

people always wanted to hold lincoln when he was born but that wasn't the help i wanted or needed. go figure. everybody wants in on the new baby! glad you got some rest.

name??? (you're killing me, lol!)

Anonymous said...

No one can explain it to you, so that you'll understand until you go thru it.

Anonymous said...

Samuel is now posted on the frig.
g-jane

Anonymous said...

I got your card,,,thanks. a beautiful family. g-jane