Saturday, April 23, 2011

Why I love insurance Part 2

It's probably because I've never been a really truly physical person. I've never pushed myself to run so hard that it made me throw up. I just never really saw the point of determining the physical limits of my body like some people seem compelled to ascertain.

Also, I've never really been hurt this seriously before. Sure I fell out of a tree when I was 10 and had to wear a neck brace and I slipped once in the tub, spraining my ankle and necessitating crutches. But this kind of all over, body and brain numbing pain? I never knew it until now.

Which is probably why I'm still surprised after a week of basically going to work and sleeping I'm still not healed. I'm still dragging...still limping...still wincing.

But there is a bright side.


2 weeks ago, the day before we left for our family spring break our house was robbed. I was sitting at my desk trying to tie up loose ends on a Friday before vacation when I got a call from the Denver police department. The officer informed me that our cute, perfect, cozy little home had been forcefully entered and our valuables pilfered.

I was in shock.

Visions of our dog being hurt or running away filled my mind and tears filled my eyes as I cut off the kind officer and asked out our little boxer-boy.

Turns out the thieves had come in through his doggie door, locked him in a room in the basement and took off with our beautiful new flat screen TV, our Wii, all our games (except Tiger Woods...strange), my lovely DSLR camera and some heirloom jewelry that the ear doctor's grandmother had given to him to give to me in the future.

UGH!

What a hassle. We have to arrange with our home owners insurance now to get estimates and reimbursements for all the stuff they took.

But you know what, I am so filled with gratitude that the intruders only took material things. They didn't ruin our house or hurt our dog.

And most especially, they didn't even touch our lovely, expensive big comfy brown leather couch.


And since this week I've pretty much been living on that couch while I recover from my ATV accident I can say for a fact that things could be so, SO much worse for me right now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

rough couple of weeks! you seems to be taking everything in stride though - good for you!

heal quickly!

heather said...

Oh my goodness!!!! That is so scary!!

I'm glad no one was hurt and that your dog is safe and sound. Sorry that it happened though and hope you guys are all right (as far as dealing with it happening).

Katharina said...

Oh, Miss Katie!

I can relate a bit. When our house in E. Denver was broken into, my first thought was for my husband's safety. The second, for my kitty. The third...something not-so-printable that I'd still love to inflict on our intruder.
I'm so sorry for your crummy week. You are a strong cookie!

Anonymous said...

Terrible thing to have happen. Hope the insurance covers most of the items.
love
g-jane