Thursday, May 24, 2012

First trimester highlight #1

My first trimester with the scamp wasn't nearly as bad as I was worried it would be. I'd seen my little sister through 3 pregnancies and, to be honest, her experience made me leery.

Basically, she looked and acted like death for at least 4 months. No energy until noon, pale as a sheet of paper and constantly bent over a public garbage can puking out her little guts.

Compared to that, mine was cake. However, there were some pretty special highlights.


For Christmas my in-laws got me an awesome VitaMix blender. As a result, the ear doctor and I had become fruit smoothie consuming junkies. My favorite was a blend of orange, banana, pineapple with a healthy handful of spinach thrown in. It was bright, neon green and delicious. I made one, poured it into my favorite to-go container and hit the road for my 40 minute, all-freeway commute to work.

About 15 minutes from my office, going 70 mph on the freeway I was suddenly overcome with the most powerful nausea of my life. Sweat beads popped up on my forehead and I was terrified by the idea of a loss of bodily control while moving in down the road at such a terrifying speed. Luckily, I was right by an off ramp. I got off and at the bottom of the ramp, the blessed light was red.

I've never in my life been so happy to see a red light.



I can only imagine what the woman who pulled up in the car behind me at the light thought when she saw this bright green vomit erupting from my body. 

Pod People?

Mars attacks?

Nerve gas?

2 comments:

Hannah said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm so happy for you! But boo for puking.

Katharina said...

What a great story! (Great for those of us not doing the up-chucking, that is.)

And congratulations!