Tuesday, September 27, 2005

My faith in humanity has been restored

Lately I've been growing a bit jaded about my fellow inhabitants of this earth. There seemed to be a vast perponderance of people whose base interests seem to be the driving force behind their actions. All of the looting and rioting and people sitting in garbage in Louisianna and Houston...all of the politicians just letting that happen. It all just seems to really be getting to me.

Yesterday the ear doctor and I went to my favorite little sandwhich shop for lunch. We were sitting on the cement benches eating outside in the sun. We were almost done with our lunch when two guys came and sat at the table next to ours. About a minute later the girl who was working the sandwich counter came out and told one of the men that he had dropped a $20 into the tip jar. He looked surprised and followed her back into the shop.

Moments later he came out and was commenting to his buddy about how impressive it was that she was so honest. She was right that he hadn't meant to give that big of a tip.

The thing that impressed me was that she didn't have to do it. She could have sat back quietly and doubled her hourly wage for the day, but she didn't.

And that is why I am back to my postion of thinking that, for the majority, people are good and honest and aren't out to cheat you out of a buck.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

looting. not luting. silly.

The Unprocessed Project said...

OK, spell checker dude, show your face!

I love when I witness or am a part of random acts of kindness. It makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

a tall sassy gal said...

That is great to hear there are still that kind of people out there.

Katie said...

Thanks spell checker. I'm probably the world's worst speller.

Unknown said...

sigh... I love stories like this... although you don't hear them often!

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of an anonymous quote:

Great minds talk about ideas.
Average minds talk about events.
Below average minds talk about people.

The question is where does something like: discuss the charisma of Adolf Hitler in WWII fit?

:)