Monday, December 19, 2005

Holy awesome weekend!

This weekend I went to two of the best parties I have ever been to....ever.

I'm not really a fan of the big, impersonal party where I don't know anyone and things are crazy. I prefer getting together with people I know and having smallish get together where everyone is involved in the same conversation and you end up laughing all night long.

Friday night I went to my friend Helena's graduation party. Her boyfriend's mother was throwing it for her. I figured that I wouldn't know hardly anyone at the party, and the guest list would be mostly comprised of family members. This situation can be a bit uncomfortable, but I went anyway.

And boy am I glad I did.

The moment the ear doctor (yes, my real live boyfriend) and I walked into the door we were greeted by the most warm, inviting, friendly woman I have met in a really long time. Genuine love just seeped from this woman's every pore. Immediately we were set at ease. The whole night I ended up speaking with the most interesting people who were honestly interested in me and what I was doing. It felt like they were my family. The food was great, the conversation quick and funny, but the most impressive thing about the whole event was that at the end of the night I gave the hostess a big, hearty, sincere hug. She invited the ear doctor and I down to her house any time, and I really believe she honestly wanted us to come back.

Last night my friends Amy and Brett hosted their annual Christmas party/dinner. This year there were 6 couples. 3 of them were celebrating their first Christmas as a married couple, the host and hostess have been married a just over a year, one couple just got engaged and the ear doctor and I. We've all been friends for almost 3 years now, so the group was the very best of friends. Over dinner of delicious soup and bread bowls we laughed about the process of wedding gift registry. After dinner we sat around and laughed about trips we've all taken together. Over some piping hot wassil we laughed at the white elephant gifts we brought, and afterward we laughed over dishes and putting together the host's house. For one moment I sat in the high backed dining room chair in front of the roaring fire and looked at each face in our circle. I was overwhelmed with appreciation for each person there. I was floored by how lucky I am to have such great friends. I was enamored with the man sitting to my right. I was truly happy in that Halmark, peace on earth, goodwill to men kind of way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! The parties sound wonderful. I too have experienced those moments of awe - realizing that God has blessed you with wonderful friends and Godly people in your life.

In those moments, I wonder what I ever did to deserve such great people in my life!!

Sounds like the Christmas spirit is alive and well in your heart!

Merry Christmas!

P.S. you should abbreviate The Ear Doctor to T.E.D, that way the rest of us have a name to associate with him!!