Thursday, December 15, 2005

Wow

Holy long-time-without-a-post Batman!

Finals are officially over and I am 1/4 of the way done with my Masters degree. How awesome is that! This semester has been a roller coaster, but I've learned a lot doing it.

1) Prioritizing. There comes a point when I meet my limits and at that point I have to decide what will be sacrificed. Keeping priorities set right guarantees that I will be happy down the road with the choices I make.

2) Having a boyfriend that is willing to be supportive and leave me alone when I need it is crucial. I wasn't sure about how going to school would affect our relationship, but in the end everything turned out great.

3) Realizing that getting an A in a class isn't as important as learning the material. Usually one indicates the other, but sometimes it doesn't, and that's alright too.

4) Serving others keeps my head on straight. I'm so happy I have the chance to serve people through my church position. It is so important for me to remember the needs of others when I am feeling like my world is getting a little too difficult.

5) Staying positive about things really does wonders. Mid way through the semester I didn't think I was doing what I wanted to be doing. I just kept getting more and more negative about school and work. Good thing I got a swift kick in the rear because now I realize I wouldn't rather do anything else.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I missed you soooo much!!!! LOL

I did miss your posts. When I was in my masters I realized how much I like studying what I was studying. My undergrad had all the liberal arts stuff mixed in withmy degree and that frustrated me. I think you are finding how cool it is to love to do something and that is what breeds success.

~Jef

Anth said...

I'm glad you're back and your semester went well! I almost fell off my chair when I read "getting an A in a class isn't as important as learning the material." Hooray! I sometimes wondered if I'd ever hear this from the girl who smugly informed her roommates sophmore year that she could get an A in any class if she really wanted to. Ha ha

k said...

Yay! Congratulations! I’m sure you learned a lot about aerospace engineering this semester, but I think all the other things you mentioned that you learned are much more valuable.

Katie said...

Anth, it is true, I was lame.

The truth is I probably could get an A in any Aero/Mechanical engineering class at CU, but the sacrifices it would take just don't make it worth it.

I doubt I could get an A in most liberal arts classes....they just don't work with my brain the right way.

Anonymous said...

I really liked your tips, and as you know I have been a slacker in the past, but I have really stepped up now that I know what I want to do and how fufilling it is to suceed at it. Why were you doubting grad school? I have wondered that since I heard that it is a lot different for you than you anticipated. But I love knowing what others do that make them successful, because applying them to my life has really helped. I know that I could figure it out the hard way, but hearing it before I screw up just seems like the better route. Congrats on making it to the quarter mark! luv ya

Unknown said...

hear, hear!! ;)