Wednesday, August 04, 2010

The ones who come before

The first boy I ever really truly loved is getting married in a little over 3 weeks.

To a girl who seems so out-of-this-world cool that I could not possibly be more excited for him!

I had an inkling he'd marry this girl when, 3 years ago, he sent me a link to her blog. He knew I liked blogging and he knew I'd probably like to read her blog and so, naturally he sent me the link. He was right...I loved reading what she wrote. However, after reading the first entry I knew he had a thing for her and I thought...oh boy, this girl doesn't know what's about to hit her.

Because, you see, my old flame is the quintessential wormer. The kind of guy who sees a girl he's interested in and just keeps worming his way into her heart. He's quirky and unique and totally original. Like no one you've ever met. You become friends and then, a few years later, without even realizing what has happened, you are amazed to discover you are totally head-over-heels crazy about this kid.

If I had $20 I'd bet that this is exactly what has happened over the past 3 years to this girl.


When I got their wedding invitation in the mail a few days ago, produced by the amazingly talented Jordan, I just held it for a second totally filled with joy and gratitude.

Joyful that he found someone who will love him forever.

But more than that I am grateful for all the lessons that he taught me...to be kind, to be unabashedly silly, to be proud of the nerdiest parts of my soul, to be a genuinely thoughtful gift giver, to value things that other people take for granted and throw away.

Getting to know him prepared me in so many ways for the real, true, love of my life. The ear doctor.

...and for that I will forever be in his debt.

2 comments:

SeƱora H-B said...

What a sweet post. I'm also grateful for the ones that came before--even the ones that broke my heart and turned out to be real jerks. They've all made me who I am and prepared me for Mr. H-B.

Kim Dubois said...

How weird would it be if you were talking about my new friend, Derek?

If you are, I'm pretty much in love with that guy, too. But, to be fair, so is my husband.