Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Wonderland

Did you ever see the movie Stranger than Fiction? Of course you did.

Well, I loved it. While the story was really great, the part I loved even more was the idea that someone who was Harvard/lawyer bound found her passion in baking. Because, well, let's face it, I'd love to quit this job and bake for people all day.

For me, there is just something magic in making someone a perfect treat. In providing a break in someone's day, a place for them to get away and indulge in a warm-from-the-oven chocolate chip cookie. To witness a grown, serious adult melt into the 10 year old version of them self over a super chunk brownie just really gets to me.

My mom thinks this idea sounds fun for about a day but after that it would get old. But I really don't think so. Not for me anyway.

For the last couple years this idea of starting a bakery has lingered around dormant in the back of my mind. There are so many things standing in my way, most of which have the face of Benjamin Franklin stamped squarely over the center.

However, when I see photos like this I'm totally overwhelmed by the desire to bury my hands deep in a sack of premium flour and whip out my baking scale:







These photos are of the newest Baked Bakery in Charleston, SC that I saw this morning on Design Sponge.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan's sister Rachael worked in a small bakery for about 2 1/2 years - she could give you an idea of the reallife experience of bakery work (starting with a 4 AM start time most days.....Do you LIKE early mornings?) On the other hand, a strictly pasrty, cookies & cake shop might not require such an early start. You might try to get a table at a farmer's market to get a taste of commercial baking.

Janssen said...

Wow that is GLORIOUS! That is just too beautiful for words.

Tyler said...

Go for it! I think it'd be cool to have a little shop that made sweets in a ski town. You could specialize in one type of treat, say fancy brownies, and sell them to conventions that come to your area, to supplement your income. You'd need to decide whether or not to have to physical store first or start baking at home first. Baking at home would probably be the best way to get started.

Also, you're an Engineer, you've designed some kind of cooking equipment, right? Your bakery could not only make good food, but make awesome equipment.