Thursday, November 05, 2009

Great debate

Help me make up my mind. Remember how we're doing family pictures after thanksgiving this year? I put together this little collage last month. I bought that pretty navy wrap dress and when I tried it on it was too short!





(raises fist in air while howling)

DANG YOU FORTUNE! Why did I have to be given such a short torso and long legs!


Well, now I'm trying to come up with an alternative look that will blend well with everyone else. So far I'm a bit torn between two ideas:




On the left we have option #1: Ann Taylor Loft's shirred v-neck cardigan in medium brown melange and the Ruched Front Scoopneck under for some texture. This is the combo I usually go for...colored sweater with white underneath...pretty standard for me.

And on the right is option #2: Again, the AT shirred v-neck cardigan on top in white, but then this pretty silk ruffle blouse in caramel chew from gap under. But I'm pretty sure with this option I'd wear a skinny belt over the outside of the sweater to keep my waist defined. And I like how there are a few different colors of brown in this one...a bit more interesting?


I think the warmer color of brown will look better with my coloring, but do you think those caramel ruffles will look strange with the cardigan? Which do you like better? And what kind of accessories should I wear? Necklace? Long or short?

10 comments:

poodle said...

option #2 works better with the other outfits. ED, your mom and maggie are already wearing a brown cardigan/jacket/sweater thing, so a different color would be nice.

and i love skinny belts.

Raven said...

I like option 2 but the navy dress couldn't work with some tights? I always think an opaque tight can solve a multitude of sins and you could even use them to inject a pop of color if you wanted.

Jessica said...

I agree with poodle, option 2 will compliment and keep it looking from a family uniform of light top & brown sweater/jacket.

Hannah said...

Option 2, totes. Very cute.

{Erica} said...

this is speaking from a photography stand point...don't go with the lighter cardigan. It tends to wash people out depending on the lighting and the skin tone. For you I would go with a darker cream or camel....

just saying...

ps LOVE THE SHOES!

Mo said...

#2! I think if you spice it up some some jewelry, like a chunky necklace, it will also give it more pizazz.

Maggie said...

I love Dan's shirt! He should wear that all.the.time.

Anonymous said...

What about this?
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3033936/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014144?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014144&P=3

It seems totally you!

Katharina said...

If you have your heart set on the navy dress, here's a potential solution...

www.vintagehem.com

p.s. I think you need a little pop of color in there. While your colors are nice, they all lean toward neutral. Maybe a shot of turquoise in a necklace or hair accessory?

Katie said...

Anon-

That dress is AWESOME! Too bad 39" from shoulder to hem is too short for me....

(insert sad face here)