Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Great news

After being in our new house for 7 minutes my dad took a hammer and pry bar to the tiles on the kitchen floor and got to work. What we found:

Top Layer: Gross tile with REALLY wide grout lines
Next Layer: .5" thick cement board...why they thought they needed that thick is beyond me
Next Layer: Old vinyl or linoleum...hard to tell which yet...is it strange that I'm excited to see what ugly pattern it is?
Final Layer: HARDWOOD!

Hooray!

Now we'll just have to see the condition. Here's hoping that they (1) didn't use too much glue to lay down the vinyl and (2) did not staple it to the hardwood every 2 inches like some previous owners in my sister's home.

Right now the ear doctor and my dad are at Home Depot buying new sledgehammers and renting that tile scraping thing. Is there anything as exciting for a man than purchasing a new sledgehammer with a job in mind?

I think not.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hurray! just what you wanted to find. :) best of luck on the project! -megan

MSmith said...

love sledgehammer work - it's great girl work!

Mrs. Architect said...

Awesome!!!! I'm baffled and what people do to houses... for someone to put all of that on top of hardwoods???? Nuts!