Thursday, January 29, 2009

Lessons from Denise

I wish I were good at writing thank you notes. Growing up my mother tried her very hardest to teach her daughters that it wasn't an option NOT to write grandma a thank you note for a birthday gift. But, somehow this just didn't stick with me.

My sister, on the other hand, is GREAT at this.

And it isn't only gifts that I know I should write thank you notes for. We were invited to a REALLY fun murder mystery dinner party last weekend and as the door closed behind me I thought, wow, that was awesome. I really need to send them a thank you note. Must do it as soon as I get home.

And yet?

I haven't even torn the plastic wrapping off the box of stationary my mom got me for Christmas.

I'm bad at this and it eats me up inside.



I mean, I love expressing my gratitude to people for doing such nice things. I mean, seriously, if I were any good at writing thank you notes at all I would be writing about a million for all the offers of help and support that have been generously pouring in my direction. I am totally blown away by all the people out there who don't know me at all, but are willing to donate to this birthmom buds project.

You people are just so good to trust a total stranger with your good faith donations.

I'm a little overwhelmed and humbled by all the goodness this one simple request has elicited. And it's been a lot. The kind of goodness that reminds me that the majority of people out there in the world ARE kind. They DO want to help.

So, I guess what I'm saying is...well...THANKS!






(Hey, mom, can I substitute handwritten thankyou notes for an internet shout-out? No? I thought not)

3 comments:

k said...

what about ecard thank yous? you can still express your gratitude, but it is easier to do and good for the environment at the same time!

i love the site someecards.com!

Mrs. Case said...

I have had more than one person tell me they are not good at writing thank-you notes. I always wonder about this because the truth is, even if it is a mere two lines, people are usually thrilled simply to be acknowledged. Sometimes short and sweet is perfectly acceptable!

Katie said...

I totally agree.

It's rude of me not to do something that can so easily make someone really happy.



LAME.