Thursday, January 21, 2010

Dining room revisited

The kitchen renovation is *this close* to being done. We're just waiting on a final cabinet being delivered from Home Depot (since they messed up our original order). We can't put up the backsplash until that's done.

Oh, and there isn't any real floor in yet...trying to install what we got ourselves was a nightmare. It made me sink into the very depths of despair.

Anyway, with a lull in kitchen design upon me, my sights have switched to the dining room. In November this was my idea for the dining room:


It was alright, but there were a few things I wasn't loving. First, there wasn't a whole lot of color. Or pattern for that matter. Plus I found out that those curtains are really shear so they weren't really going to give us the privacy I was hoping for. Also that rug? A bit sedate, right?


So here is my latest idea:


More color? Check! More Pattern? You bet.

Since our dining room is part of our living room I wanted to keep the feel pretty casual, and I think having different chairs around the table is a cool way to do that. We'd really get 4 white chairs (instead of the 2 pictured) and I LOVE those two wood chairs for either end of the rectangular table. Plus, these chairs are so functional. I really like the idea of being able to use the chairs in other ways when we move into our next house should that house have a more formal dining area.

My only reservation with this look is the curtains. I want a double curtain because it'll give us much more privacy. The ear doctor hates people looking into our house at night. I already have the white shears for underneath, but I need something heavy to go on top. What I have pictured is some fabric from Amy Butler, but I'm not totally in love with the idea. What do you think? Any alternate ideas?

2 comments:

MrsEm said...

Ikea has really cheap, nice, thick patterned curtains along the lines you're thinking.

MSmith said...

Sorry about the flooring - it's all in the order of where you start and how you tap it together...a fine science. I'd have gladly helped if I could. Hope it is progressing.