Last night I went to see the Allison Krauss and Union Station concert at Red Rocks and it was amazing. Perfect weather, awesome venue, amazing musicians. They've been playing together for over a decade, and it shows. The music and dialogue were seamless. The seemed so comfortable performing in front of a massive audience. They didn't have an opening band, but they didn't need it. They played for 2.5 solid hours and I didn't look at my watch once. Just a great show.
The ear doctor and I arrived and hour and a half early to the show because we had general admission tickets. We ended up sitting 3rd row, slightly to the left of the stage center. They were amazing seats, and getting there early meant that we had time for one of my life's real passions...people watching.
Here is a list of the crazies that we saw last night:
- Robin Hood. A guy sitting the row behind us was wearing a green felt cap with a long beautiful brown ponytail. All that was missing was a pheasant feather and the sheriff on Nottingham.
- The wicked witch of the west. Huge crazy died red hair half pulled and balanced precariously on top of her head with a bright pink scrunchy, complete with brightly colored rainbow top, bright red eyebrows died to match and the shiftiest eyes I've seen in a long time.
- The Tie-dye family. Mom, dad, 2 year old son, Grandma and Grandpa all wearing tie-dye. It looked like they tried to coordinate so no one got lost...like disneyland.
- Visor boy. This awesome man was about 85 years old, completely decked out for the show with a visor tipped at a jaunty angle, and green slip-on canvas deck shoes. The really great thing about him was the look of complete confused joy on his face.
- Pioneer mom. Dressed in a long denim skirt and a bonnet hanging around her neck.
- Cowboy couple. Skinny, young looking guy with wranglers and an authentic white cowboy hat (complete with pheasant feather) heavily hanging his arm around this girl friend. She was also wearing wranglers, tight cleavage bearing top, perfectly accented with a huge Jack Daniels belt buckle.
- Crazy no shoes man. For some reason the guy just down the row from us felt the need to take off his hiking boots and socks and air out his stinky feet. While it is true, we were in an outside venue, it is still public and slightly gross to do that.