Thursday, August 27, 2009

Admission

In my experience, getting older means getting more comfortable with who I am and what I like. Even if I am fully aware that my affinity for something is totally dorky. Even if I'm pretty much 100% assured that people will realize that I am the full on nerd that I am by exposing said loves.

And I hope that my hip, awesome blog friends won't think I'm too lame, but I'm here today to share two of my particular adorations that have really shocked the ear doctor in the past couple months.

First? X-men movies.

You read that right...I love em. Every single time one of them is airing on FX or TBS I curl up under a blanket and indulge in my guilty pleasure.

Second? Love-sick power ballads by Chicago. I know, I know, I wish I was hip enough to be able to roll my eyes and the cheesy cliche-ness of their lyrics or utter predictability of their chord progressions, but I just can't. Something about pining for someone to stay the night or declaring that they are my inspiration just really cuts clear to the core of my soul.


So there you have it, two of my totally nerdy, unhip, dorky, never-going-to-make-me elected prom queen loves.


Anyone care to share their own?

14 comments:

Jessica said...

Time Life infomercials. Most especially the Super Hits of Country, although it doesn't air anymore that I know of. Lately I'm partial to the Rock Ballads and the special for the Midnight Special DVDs.

Janssen said...

So easy for me - ZAC EFRON!

Yes, I'm 24 years old.

Gin said...

1. To me, cool is being able to admit your Uncoolness. Taking oneself too seriously is the epitome of lame, as far as I'm concerned.

2. OMG, I LOVE me some Time Life - props to you, Jessica. Can't tell you how many times I've had to make myself put down the credit card when I'm into those.

3. Scrabble. I can waste an entire afternoon playing Scrabble on the computer.

Mrs. Case said...

I think judging by their box office success, the X-Men movies are popular amongst more than just you. I love them, too!

You are an island with Chicago, though. ;)

sam said...

Ummmm...guilty admission here. I own Chicago's Greatest Hits. It's way too fun to belt out those songs at the top of my lungs in the car.

Katharina said...

My admission:

I wanted to BE a Spice Girl in the day...
And I love all things Miss America.

{Erica} said...

1. I La-la-loooove Chicago. I've always wanted to go to a Chicago concert.

2. I love Elvis. Grew up watching Elvis movies, dancing to Elvis and wanting to be one of the girls in his movie. Mailee was named after his love interest in Blue Hawaii.

3.I dig vampires (this is pre-twlight trendy craze). No I don't wear black and try to file my teeth to appear pointy but I love reading vampire novels and love watching vampire movies. (does this make me nerdy or just creepy?!).

Love this post...just might have to do one of my own over on my blog.

Stephanie said...

I like the X-men movies too. And I love reading any book in the Supernatural genre like Twilight, Sookie Stackhouse, etc. even if I am a little old for the target audience. :-)

Mindy said...

Superhero Movies and Science Fiction novels.

Smart Girl said...

"Hi, My name is Renee.....and well....I own all of the Air Supply albums"

heidi said...

i have seen chicago live in concert THREE times. yes, 3. all three times i was under 18. i am only 29 now. i love every song they do and i was listening to their greatest hits yesterday in the car. look away! baby, look away.
and i love STYX. i was born about 20 years too late.
and i really like pseudo-historical-regency-romance novels. i go in waves. i won't read one for couple years, and now this week i have started my third.

Lexilooo said...

I LOVE Chicago! I've never seen them in concert (one of these days!), but I adore them all the same and can sing along with all their songs.

PS. My phone's ringtone? Saturday in the Park :)

Robyn said...

How about Highlander, the TV show!? Maybe not the last season, but I loved the first couple.

How's that for totally dorky!?

dad said...

Niel Young is the greatest!!!! You grew up on Motor Cycle Moma and I come down from the misty mountain.

Also you have to realize that Sir Elton John is possibly the greatest Classical Musican ever.

I'm not dorky, I am enlightened.