Friday, March 25, 2011

technical difficulties

Today my little niece Charlotte turns 4. How has time passed so quickly?



This morning we skyped with her and she was so excited from opening presents and wired from eating mapley-syrupy-pancake-birthday-cake that she couldn't sit still. Her body was literally vibrating with joy.



And I love that I could actually see that...thanks to Skype.





oh, skype, how i love thee.



But there is something that I just can't stand about it, and I have drawn up a diagram to help me explain my slight frustration:









When my eyes are looking at the image of my loved one they are pointed slightly down because the camera is offset from the skype window on the screen. So I feel like my connection to the person on the other end suffers. In an attempt to make sure they know I'm listening to them, I move my eyes from looking at them on the screen and stare straight into the camera.





But then I sometimes miss seeing their expression change in response to what I'm saying.





And that bugs.





Am I taking crazy pills? Anyone else relate? What do you do? Just live with it?

4 comments:

k said...

I haven't skyped in awhile, but isn't there an option to make the video full screen?

Unknown said...

I never really thought about that, but it's so true. Now that I think of it I actually never make eye contact with the person by staring into the camera. I just stare at the computer screen. It didn't bother me before, but now it will. Thanks a lot Katie!

sam said...

My video is full screen and I've definitely learned not to stare into the camera any more. It just takes some getting used to.
And I would be completely miserable without Skype while overseas!

Janssen said...

Agreed!