Thursday, June 17, 2004

The exciting life of a singleton

Yesterday after work I went to my fiddling lesson. My teacher informed me that she was going to movie to Idaho in August to be with her boyfriend. This came as a total shock to me, and it really sucks because I am just getting confident in my playing and switching teachers is always bad. Plus, the closest teacher is out in Longmont, which is a freaking far drive. Also, I seriously doubt that anyone could be as cool as my present teacher. She is my same age, and has won the national fiddling competition a bunch of times. I like knowing that I am learning from the best. Oh well, the change will be good for her because she has never lived outside of Colorado. I think people need to experience actually living in a lot of different places before they can really make an informed choice about where they want to be. Not that I'm really following that idea but.....

So last night at institute the teacher asked me to prepare a 5 minute discussion for class next week. The topic is "what advice I would like a friend to give a guy who was trying to date me." Yeah, loaded question. About two weeks ago he had us write our advice to the opposite gender on a sheet of paper and hand it in so he could use it for the lesson. I was still a little upset with how my relationship with my ex-boyfriend had ended, so I kind of went off on the paper. Anyway, we were supposed to write our names on the sheet if we wanted to present our ideas to the class. I most definitely did NOT write my name down. Unfortunately I think I was the only one in the class who actually took the exercise to heart, so the teacher asked me to talk to the class. The more I think about it, the more I really have nothing to say. The teacher confessed to me that there are a lot of guys in that class who are genuinely clueless about how to act with girls, and there are a few who feel that way specifically toward me. Too bad I know which ones feel that way about me, and you can read about them in the "weirdos coming out of the woodwork" post from a week ago. I don't want to get up there and be like, "just be a nice guy and some girl will give you a chance" when I fully know that I would never be that girl for most of them. It is hard to admit, but sometimes there just needs to be a spark there. If there isn't, it probably won’t ever happen.

After class I went to the movies with my friend Brett. I totally love this kid. He is so funny and interesting and down to earth. But, alas, no spark. We saw the movie SAVED!. It was kind of interesting. Seeing it as a devout Christian, I'm sure it was different for me than for most of the audience. And, I had to think a while to decide whether I liked it or not. In the end I decided that I did. Beware, it is a little blasphemous, and if you can't laugh at yourself you probably shouldn't see it.

Oh, I almost forgot. I gave my number to someone yesterday. It was quite the rush since it hasn't happened to me in quite a while. There is a surprising amount of power in that action.

No comments: