Tuesday, June 01, 2004

What I'm reading

Right now I am reading The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum. Ordinarily I would never read this type of book on my own, but it came HIGHLY recommended by a good friend, so I’m giving it a whirl. It started out kind of slow, but is getting better. It is obviously a “boy” book, as the only female in the book is a clear conquest of the protagonist. Actually, at first I was really turned off by the whole captor/captive love affair, but at least the chick has turned out somewhat intelligent, so maybe I’ll hold my feminist judgment until I’ve actually finished the book. I saw the movie, but it is A LOT different from the book. I can hardly even see a similar thread between the book and movie. Why does Hollywood need to dumb down the characters to make them more palatable for the general masses? Do they think we are some kind of brainless horde that can only appreciate sensationalism?

No comments: