Friday, April 04, 2008

So hot right now

I'm at the perfect age to be surrounded by friends having their first babies. It's a really exciting time to see people turn from happy couples to happy little families. I love being invited to baby showers, christenings/blessings and first birthdays.

Plus, with all the celebrity babies popping out right now, having a baby has never been so hot.


Although, the phenomenon I've noticed lately is a little different. Am I the only one who has noticed that it is SO HOT RIGHT NOW to find out your baby's gender on the big day? I've had at least 3 couples in the past 4 months tell me they're waiting to find out.


I don't really have an opinion about it, one way or the other, but I think it's an interesting trend, no? Sure makes shopping for gifts a little more challenging.....

4 comments:

Maggie said...

I think it would be super exciting to discover the gender when you first see the baby, but I can't wait that long. I just can't. That's too big a surprise to be kept secret from me.

TRS said...

I have four friends and relatives on baby watch right now. Girl, girl, girl - don't know yet and not finding out.

I just saw Not-finding-out on Wednesday. She's due in August. She said her hubby wants to wait until delivery, and that she hadn't even thought of that as an option! She also figures since she can't change the gender anyway why not be surprised.

Personally, I've always believed in waiting for the surprise. In this technology-laden world there are so few true surprises left - I would embrace this one.

The other reason is... I really really really really need to have a girl first. So if I spend 4-5 months knowing it's a boy, I'm afraid I'd spend them disappointed! Should he come out with a winkie... I'm sure I'd be delighted.

Also... no little girl of mine is wearing pink until she ASKS to wear to pink... so on the gift giving end / or recieving as it were... I'll have all neutrals and spare myself the agony of having to dress an infant in pink!!!

Anth said...

I know some people who have both a girl and a boy already who waited until the birth to find out the gender of their third child. But I don't see myself ever doing that. I like to shop the clearance racks while pregnant. And neutral clothing all looks boyish to me.

Erik, Amy, Eliza, Esther & Eden said...

I could never wait. It's just not in me. It was the first question I asked when I went in for my ultrasound last time, and it will be the first question I will have this time. With all the chaos of a new baby, it's nice to be able to plan and have everything organized. Sure, you can buy neutral colors, but the second someone calls your girl a boy is the last time your baby wears yellow. Well, it was for me at least. :-)