Monday, June 07, 2010

Alaskan Cruise Day 3: Skagway

Last time the ear doctor and I went up to Skagway my awesome cousin got us tickets to ride the White Pass railroad for free. It was a beautiful trip and I loved it, but this time we wanted to do something different.

We decided to take an off-road tour of the forests above the Chilkat mountains near Haines, AK. If you try to drive from Skagway to Haines it's a 300 mile trip with 2 border crossings between the US and Canada. We decided to take the 30 minute ferry instead.
When the boat pulled into Haines I gasped. It was so beautiful!



Next we boarded a little old school bus and drove out to the tour site. I was really stoked!




The ear doctor hopped in the drivers seat and we took off. We drove through dense Alaskan forest for a few hours and saw some of the prettiest landscapes imaginable!



The weather was amazing. I even got a bit of a sunburn! The day was really perfect in every way. Even the clouds in the sky were giving us the thumbs-up!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you could go to Haines. It is such a cool little town! They do a lot of heli skiing for ski movies there. Did you go to the hammer museum while you were in Haines? Way to score on the good weather.

megs and josh said...

AWESOME! sounds like great fun!

Mrs. Architect said...

LOVE these vacation recaps!! What a FUN trip! I'm thinking an alaska cruise will be added to my trips-to-take list!