Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Catching up

One of the great things about living in Denver is the convention center. Not that the architecture is that stunning or anything, but it's really really big. Big enough to host a ton of conferences every year that bring people from the four corners of the globe to hotels only 15 minutes from my front door.

Last night a friend from high school was in town for a conference and instead of going out with his work friends to celebrate a 40th birthday, he decided to come over to my house. I was ecstatic. However, between work and the dog and the required weekly, never-ending church planning meeting I didn't get to my house until 8:30 to see my friend.

I can't really describe how awesome it was to shove open my constantly-stuck, old, squeaky front door and see my friend sitting on my couch chatting away with the ear doctor. Is there anything in the world like a hug from an old friend? Not for me...


Instead of being a gracious host and having a delicious 5 course meal prepared to welcome him to our home, we , of course, went out. Me, the ear doctor, a friend who knew me best when I was 17 years old, and our awesome 17 year old roommate all sat around a table at our favorite pizza place. We laughed. We reminisced. We teased each other until laughter-induced tears threatened to jump from the corners of my eyes.

I felt the amazing combination of being that free, unencumbered 17 year old girl and the happy, secure(ish) person I am today.

After eating, and with bellies frighteningly full we walked home as old friends. I thanked him for calling me and reminding me that I do have a past full of amazing people who I will always cherish and love.

And then I teased him MERCILESSLY for having to leave my house in time to make the midnight showing of eclipse.

No comments: