Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Day 8

Have I ever written about my next door neighbor? She's awesome. Her name is Eloise and she's a widow. She and her husband bought their house 45 years ago and she's been living there ever since. She is so active and healthy...just the kind of elderly lady I want to be.

The first night we spent in our new house we ordered take out. When the food arrived we realized they hadn't included any kind of silverware. We were both starving, so the ear doctor ran over to Eloise's house and borrowed 2 forks. Months later, after we'd finally moved in and had enough of our own I baked a loaf of banana bread and went over to return the forks. She was so warm and welcoming that I was overwhelmed with gratitude to have such a nice person for a neighbor.

All last winter Eloise always got out to shovel the snow off her driveway before anyone else on the block! One morning I beat her to it and decided that since I was at it I'd do her little strip of concrete as well as mine.

And all summer when our front lawn dried up and died she didn't complain at all, even though her grass was the thickest, bushiest and greenest on the block.

This year I'm going to make her some cookies and take them over to thank her for being such a great neighbor!


“Each of us has his own way of remembering. At Christmas time I take delight in visiting the widows and widowers from the ward where I served as bishop. There were 87 then—just nine today. On such visits, I never know what to expect; but this I do know: visits like these provide for me the Christmas spirit, which is, in reality, the Spirit of Christ” --Thomas S. Monson



Or I could always just buy some treats and put them on a paper plate like I made them myself...



1.Cheryl and Co cookies $30 2.Whoopie pies $15/doz 3.Vosges Caramel toffee marshmallows $27/9 4.Paulette macarons $19/12 5.Danish butter cookies…get them anywhere…I LOVE these…

1 comment:

dad said...

#5