Tuesday, September 14, 2004

She's my pal, I don't begrudge her a boyfriend

So last night I found out that over the weekend while I was gone two of my friends decided they were going to date.

Amy W and Brett.

They dated over a year ago, but Amy ended things and Brett has patiently waited for that whole time in the hopes that she'd come around and realize how much she cares for him.

Well, for once, life worked out like the movies.

Amy had a complete change of heart and asked for him back and he readily agreed.

Now they are together and so happy.

I'm thrilled for them both because Brett is crazy about her and Amy, I guess, is equally into him again.

The only kind of crappy thing for me is that now everyone I know is dating someone.

I really don't want to be selfish and think of myself so much, but I'm human, so that's just what happens.

Every Sunday my group of friends makes dinner together. We've been doing this for almost a year now. I use it to gage what's going on in everyone's lives. Its kind of like our "Central Perk." Boyfriends and Girlfriends come in and out, but the core group remains the same. Anyway, the best I can describe the situation is by using friends. Ross is with Rachel, Chandler is with Monica, and Pheobe has some guy who wasn't part of the group, but has now become a critical part of the group. Joey has his flavor of the month, and I'm that character that's missing. I'm like a 7th friend who is there, but who isn't. What a pain.

Even my 5 year old niece has a boyfriend at school. She was telling me about him this weekend while I was in Seattle and then she asked me why I didn't have one. UGH! Even 5 year olds agree that I should be able to find someone worth actually spending time with and getting to know.

Have I become some kind of strange hybrid of girl. You know, the girl who makes more than 50K, drives a brand new car she bought for herself, likes to watch football, can cook a mean apple pie and who has only a slight problem with commitment?!?!

1 comment:

Anth said...

What kind of car do you have?
Props on the apple pie. The idea of making pie crust from scratch turns me into a quivering lump of jelly. I'm better at the main course.
I have a matching little girl story. At one of Heath's football games, a little girl started talking to me, well, really asking me a zillion questions. One of her questions was, "Are you here with your little girl?" I said, "I don't have a little girl." "Why not?" "Uhhh...I don't know." Glanced over at the girl's mom & grandma, and they were both gaping at her. Awkward. Ha ha Oh well. I commiserate that it sucks when all of your friends have something major in common and you do not.