Thursday, September 09, 2004

Unoriginal but easy

So nothing really happened to me yesterday, so I'm using this from someone else's blog.

I'm sure that there have been plenty of "get to know me" -style questionnaires in the history of mankind, but the earliest famous one that I know of is the "Proust Questionnaire", of which there are two versions. Neither of them were written by Proust, but rather were made well-known because his answers somehow were saved and later published.The first one he answered at a party at age 13...It is depressing to think what the average 13-year-old now would come up with if faced with this "party game".

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? being totally alone

Where would you like to live? Somewhere not too hot, or too cold, but where I'm surrounded by people I love and who love me back

What is your idea of earthly happiness? To understand where I'm going and why I'm here. To have direction. Life without a goal isn't worth anything.

To what faults do you feel most indulgent? Gluttony (I overeat like nobody's business) and spending too much money (the opposite of thriftiness)

Who are your favorite heroes of fiction? Harry Potter, Sydney Carton (from Tale of Two Cities)

Who are your favorite characters in history? Mark Twain, George Washington

Who are your favorite heroines in real life? My mom

Who are your favorite heroines of fiction? Twanda

Your favorite painter? Georgia O'Keefe, Boticelli

Your favorite musician? Too many to mention

The quality you most admire in a man? Productivity, ambition

The quality you most admire in a woman? Productivity, ambition

Your favorite virtues? Thoughtfulness, fairness, honesty

Your favorite occupation? Doctors and nurses. I admire them, but would never want to be one. They sacrifice so much to do what they do.

Who would you have liked to be? Dumb question, I like being me.

The second set of questions was put before him at another social function, this time when he was about 20 years old:

Your most marked characteristic? physically...My hair, character...Driven

The quality you most like in a man? patience

The quality you most like in a woman? sincerity

What do you most value in your friends? thougfulness and sincerity (a lot of these are redundant)

What is your principle defect? taking things too personally

What is your favorite occupation? redundancy gives me a headache, look above

What is your dream of happiness? knowing where I'm going and having someone to go there with

What to your mind would be the greatest of misfortunes? wasting time in this life that should be used for a greater purpose

What would you like to be? a liger...Its pretty much my favorite animal

In what country would you like to live? The grand ole United States of America is pretty great to me.

What is your favorite color? green...It looks great on red heads!

What is your favorite flower? stargazer lily or Japanese iris in arrangements....Tulips in the garden

What is your favorite bird? flamingos, I think they look so funny standing there on one toothpick leg while they sleep. Plus, they're HOT PINK!

Who are your favorite prose writers? Charles Dickens, Madeline L'Engle, JK Rowling

Who are your favorite poets? Shel Silverstien...Real poetry is "too deep" for me.

Who are your favorite composers? Bizet, Tchovsky, Elton John (that's a family joke)

Who are your favorite painters? see above

What are your favorite names? I like the names of my favorite people: Margaret, Denise, Sarah, Amy, Brooke, Colin, Derek, Spencer, Michele, Kathryn, Alexa, the list goes on and on.

What is it you most dislike? people leaving time left on the microwave (how hard is it to push the cancel button?), loosing touch with people I really loved, pretending I'm not hurt when I am

What historical figures do you most despise? I think despise is too harsh a word to use for someone I don't know....Probably only Hitler and Stalin and people like that who are responsibly for the needless slaughter of innocent people fall into that category

What event in military history do you most admire? George Washington crossing the Delaware on Christmas Eve. It was smart, effective, and really really cold.

What reform do you most admire? Equal rights, giving women the vote, pretty standard stuff.

What natural gift would you most like to possess? a green thumb

How would you like to die? surrounded by people I love with the knowledge that whatever comes next will be better.

What is your present state of mind? excited because I'm going to Seattle tomorrow morning and I get to spend the whole weekend with my parents! TheyROCK!

What is your motto? Forgive and forget. Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice. You can never have too many friends. Find a goal in life and work to that.

No comments: