Wednesday, April 20, 2005

I'm at a loss

This kind of things only happens to other people. Distant people whose faces you see on TV in the throws of despair. You watch them while you eat your dinner on the couch and think, "well, isn't that heartbreaking." Then, you switch off the TV and go to bed.

Yesterday my cousin's little four year old daughter died.

She was playing with her sister and somehow fell out of a two story window onto a slab of cement below.

The little girl that I last saw at Thanksgiving, who decided to decorate my ears and hair with Christmas ornaments, won't be around to do it next year.

My entire family is shocked and devastated by the news.

Jentel was the cutest little girl imaginable. She had long pretty blonde hair and strikingly big eyes.




They've decided to donate all her organs, which I think is just so moving. My cousin and his wife are in the middle of one of the hardest times they will ever experience and they are still able to see past themselves and give someone else's child a second chance at life. I am so amazed and inspired.

I guess now my Aunt Sandy will have someone to take care of.

13 comments:

poodle said...

oh, my gosh, katie, i'm so sorry. That is so tragic.

Anth said...

Katie, I'm so sorry. Please know your family is in my prayers.

Kelly said...

I'm so so sorry for your family's loss. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Dan said...

I was very sorry to read of your loss.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry for your family & you. I will keep all of you in my prayers.

I wish I could do something to help.

Mrs. Architect said...

Wow, that is so shocking and sad. I am so impressed with people like that who can think of others in the midst of their pain. I'll be praying for you and your family.

Xiporah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Xiporah said...

You, and your family are all in my thoughts. I'm sorry I can't think of anything that isn't as lame as that. I can only imagine what you are going through. Your cousin and his wife are noble people indeed

Please accept my most heartfelt sympathies to you and yours.

Jenna said...

Katie,
losing a child at any age is hard. I watched it happen in my family, and I know that my parents are still dealing with the effects of it 10 years later. Best of luck ot your family, and remember the promises of the Lord.

Unknown said...

Hey Katie, I just wanted to stop in and check on you & see how you're doing. Please remember you're in my prayers, as well as your family. xoxo.

Mrs. Architect said...

I was just thinking about you and wanted to say hey. I totally understand what you mean about support from "internet friends". I am the same way! The thing I look forward to when I sit down at my desk first thing in the morning is checking my comments.

Hope everything is goign ok and your family is making it. Hugs!!

Mags said...

My heart just sank reading this. I hope your cousin and his wife (and you, of course) get through this difficult time. It's wonderful that they chose to donate her organs. Little Jentel will live on in the bodies of others, doing a world of good. God bless her little soul.

Anonymous said...

Truly, there are no words . . . I'm so sorry. You and your family are in my prayers.