Monday, July 25, 2005

Birthday re-cap

This was the first birthday of my life that I've been dating someone.

I didn't know the protocol.

I just figured I would plan something for myself since that's what I've done every other year.

Boy was I wrong.

It is SOOOOO much more fun to have someone who cares about you plan something to make you feel special.

Friday night I took the ear doctor out to the Colorado Shakespeare Festival to see a Winter's Tale. I'd never read that play before, but it ended up being a great way to celebrate him finishing up his prelims for grad school.

When he dropped me off at my house it was about 12:15. He was the very first person to wish me a happy birthday. He also told me to be ready for him to come pick me up at 9am the next morning.

I complained because I wanted to sleep in late on my birthday, but he said that was when the festivities began, and there would be no further discussion on the point.

I turned, climbed upstairs and into my bed.

My eyes popped open at 6:45 am and I was too awake to fall back asleep.

I reached over and read some more of the new Harry Potter book. There is nothing I like more than waking up on Saturday and laying in my bed and reading.

I got ready and the ear doctor was at my door promptly at 9 am.

He handed me a pretty shiny bag from Nordstrom that had two little boxes inside.

With giddy, childlike excitement I opened the first.

It was a beautiful, green and blue necklace. It had big, chunky stones in it and looked very retro and awesome. The other box contained earrings to match.

He then scooped me up and set me down in his car and told me that we were going to pick up Sarah and Colin and go to breakfast.

Just so that you know, going out to breakfast is one of my favorite things to do. I love breakfast food.

When we got to Sarah and Colin's house I knocked on the door. As they opened the door to their new, very cute apartment, I was overwhelmed.

The ear doctor had arranged a surprise breakfast party for all my friends!

I was so overwhelmed with the feeling of being loved that tears started to well up in my eyes.

After a stirring round of happy birthday and my hearty breath of candle extinguishing air I went around the room giving everyone there huge and very sincere hugs. We all sat around until noon talking and laughing. I opened presents and pretty much felt like the coolest thing since sliced bread.

After everyone took off Sarah and Colin gave me their present.

It was a card.

When I opened it up I noticed there was an extra rectangular piece of paper in the card. I turned it over and saw that it was a ticket for the Tim McGraw concert up in Cheyenne, WY that night! They all told me to pack up my stuff because we were taking of for Fontier Days in Wyoming right away.

We drove up there and wandered around the fair for a while until the show started. We ate fair food, went of rickity carnival rides, looked at strange stands of Native American art, went on a search to find Sarah the perfect cowboy hat, and I almost bought a belt with my name engraved on the back.

Our tickets were for the standing room only section right up next to the stage. We packed ourselves into the huge mass of drunk cowboys and waited for the show to begin. Just as the opening band began, it started to pour. We were soaked to the skin, but having such a great time it just didn't matter.

When Tim came on stage everyone went crazy. There was pushing and shoving and chaos, but not the angry kind that you get at punk shows.....Everyone there was too happy for words.

The crowd belted out every word of every song, there was rampant dancing and just a great energy, despite the rain and cold.

After the show we walked back to the car and I thought about all the amazing birthday's I've had and realize that this was WAY up there in the ranks. I got to spend it with two of my best friends and my sweetheart. You really can't beat that!

8 comments:

Maggie said...

Just so you know, the ear doctor told me ALL his plans for you for your birthday and for his present for you. From your wrap-up I think he only followed through with ONE of them! Here I am keeping a secret from you and being all sneeky and the plans weren't really even the same! The only thing that makes it OK is that what actually happened seems like it was a ton of fun and it hit the mark that he was going for. I love you tons and tons and tons and I hope you get your present from me today!

k said...

Happy Happy Birthday! Tim McGraw is great! I'm jealous!

Courtney said...

Because birthday wishes are nice, even when they're from strangers... Happy Belated Katie! Glad you had a great day!

Anonymous said...

That's cool. Glad you had a positively memorable birthday!

~Jef

Anth said...

Oh, that sounds fantastic! Props to the ear dr for knowing that KT needs her birthday to be a BIG fabulous deal. Sounds like a ton of fun!

Anonymous said...

KT I love you more than the doc!? Your secret admirrerr....secret person. Page me huh.

Unknown said...

Awwwww!! This made me get teary eyed... your friends all love you so much (including ear doctor of course) and that's SO SWEET. What a great birthday memory. Did you turn 24?

Happy birthday!!!!!! xoxoxo!

Katie said...

Yup...24!