Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Blogger to Blogger

Michelle over at Made Sweet is a great blogger and if you haven't scooted your little virtual self over there to check out the pretties that she posts your are seriously missing out! I asked her if she'd be part of blogger to blogger and she was SO nice to agree.



Michelle asked: What are your three 'most played' songs in iTunes right now, this very second? (This is my favorite question because I believe it's very telling of a person. Sometimes even when someone claims that they only listen to Blink 182, their top song is "Heaven" by Bryan Adams. That's a true story, and the boy we found this out about was so embarrassed.)

Katie answered: Well, the ear doctor and I share our itunes account, so it's biased and doesn't count. If it were only mine and my choices making the most played I bet the top 3 would be "Short skirt, long jacket" by Cake, "Vivir sin aire" by Mana and "the Chokin kind" by Joss Stone.

3 songs I listen to over and over and over and probably drive the ear doctor up the wall. What do you think these say about me?

Michelle asked: When you go to a restaurant do you always order the same thing, or something new from the menu?

Katie answered: Oooh, it really depends on the place. If I am sure I've found the thing on the menu that I like the very best then I usually get it every time. If it's a new place I've only been a few times I try different dishes each time. But I'm almost always drawn to things with the following ingredients: artichoke hearts, capers, lemon, avocado, bacon, goat cheese.

Michelle asked: Where were you five years ago today, where did you think you would be today (as opposed to where you actually are), and where do you think you will be in five years? Kind of a long question, I know, but it's another one of my favorites.

Katie answered: Well, 5 years ago I was working for the same company just getting my feet under me. Trying to figure out what was expected of me as an engineer. I had just been dumped by a really sweet guy that I cared a lot for. My wonderful aunt had just passed away after fighting colon cancer for 10 years. I was living in an awesome condo with a roommate that I just adored. I was spending more money on clothes than any sane person ever should. I was getting to know my friend Sarah and her boyfriend/soon to be husband.

I thought I would be leaving Colorado in just over a year to attend a prestigious grad school so I figured that it was my time to just do whatever I wanted. I did end up going to grad school, but I stayed in Colorado. CU is a great school and I just couldn't bring myself to leave the ear doctor once I'd met him.

In another 5 years I don't know where we'll be physically, but if we were in Colorado I wouldn't mind a bit. I'll probably have one baby and we'll be living in a house that I obsess over and drive the ear doctor crazy about. I might still be working as an engineer, but I might also take time away from work. I might teach classes at a community or junior college. I might be attending pastry school or have my own bakery by then. Maybe I'll launch my own event planning business or go back to school for landscape design. Who knows?

I've learned over the passed decade that, for me, it is better to temper my ambition with a bit of flexibility. Without that I tend to want to force my life to go in a certain direction, regardless of other external forces that gently nudge me into the path that is really the best.

And then...

Katie asked: Do you realize how good you are at blogging? Seriously, girl, I think you could be one of the big ones if you really wanted to be.

Michelle answered: Thank you! That's really sweet of you. One thing is for sure, I definitely love blogging. There are so many amazing people out there doing great things, and I like learning about all of them! I think that's what attracted me to blogging in the first place--it was such a positive atmosphere with people sharing good things, whether it's a craft or an uplifting story, and I love that.

Katie asked: If you could have one dream come true what would it be?
Michelle answered: Well, my first thought for this is to be a wife and mom, but that'll happen when it happens. A more fickle dream is one that I've had for about four years now: to become a really good surfer. I love outdoor sports, and surfing is the next one I would like to conquer. (Not that I've necessarily conquered the others...)

I lived in Hawaii for just a few months when I was twenty, and learned the basics of surfing and have been in love with it ever since. I even bought my own board two summers ago! (I must be the only girl in Orem, Utah with a surfboard in her basement.) I try to make it to Southern California every summer for a few days of surfing, but someday soon I'll move next to a great surf beach and I'll be surfing every day! You're welcome to come visit when I do!

Katie asked: Do you ever feel overwhelmed by all the great design out there and how available blogging/the Internet makes it?

Michelle answered: Absolutely! Sometimes when I take a few days away from blogging, I go back to my reader and have 1800 unread items and it stresses me out! But I'm learning to not really try and keep up, because that's impossible, but instead just take it all in at my own pace.


The internet is so amazing with how much it makes available to us, it blows me away that I can see the latest designs from around the world, all from my computer in Utah. How great is that? I'd be missing out on a lot without the internet.

3 comments:

made sweet said...

haha. katie you are so cute. I always love the pictures that you put on your interviews. This one is perfect!! Thanks again.

Jeanelle said...

I love the Short Skirt Long Jacket song -- ever since I heard it in Waitress. I will check my iTunes top songs but I know one of them is "Home" by Michael Buble. I also still have a Kelly Clarkson song in there from when I tested the battery in my iPod by playing her album on repeat for hours and hours.

Mrs. Architect said...

I love these because I always think about what my answers would be, and what thought provoker to Michelle's third question.