Thursday, May 14, 2009

Let down

This year commemorates my 10th year away from high school.

Upon leaving said high school I was about 97.3% sure that I would not be returning for any reunions. Not that I had a horribly terrible experience in high school or anything. I had a great best friend and a nice little click to be part of. But I just figured I probably wouldn't be living in the same place I grew up. I just didn't see the appeal.


But, then 10 years go by and I start to think....well....maybe? I'm pretty happy with how my life is right now and I would love to catch up with said best friend. I might be interested in seeing what other people are up to. I'm not utterly opposed to making a trip of it up to see my wonderful parents. They just put in a new big veggie garden in their backyard and I'd love to see it....


So I actually went to my high school website just to GLANCE at the plans for the event.


But guess what?

There aren't any plans. Not a single person has stepped up to plan the event. Not a single alumni wants the dumb thing to happen enough to send out an evite for drinks or something.


And so now I'm a little ticked off. Me, the girl who was pretty certain she'd never return, is totally annoyed. I mean, not that I would actually pay for a ticket to GO do the thing, but it's the principle of the matter.

How can I prove that I'm way too cool by not showing up if they don't even PLAN anything?!?!?

10 comments:

Raven said...

Wow, and I thought our school was bad for having the lowest alumni turn out of any year for the reunion...at least we HAD ONE!

It really was horrid though. You truly aren't missing anything.

Heather said...

Yeah, I have no desire to go to any high school reunion's. Anyone I would have wanted to see is my friend on facebook... and I am kind of embarrassed to say that. Almost all of my very best friends were a grade younger than me too. I wouldn't mind making my own reunion happen for anyone I was friends with to reunite some time when I'm back in town.

Mrs. Architect said...

Aww, that makes me sad for you! I went to the 10 yr reunions for both of the high schools I attended and had a great time at both.

Unknown said...

My 10th is coming up in a few months. I have no idea what to do. I have friends who may be going, but that is the ONLY reason I would go. And by "friends" I mean the three or four gals I got back in touch with over the last few months.

Maybe the 20 yr?

Becca said...

Manipulation my friend, Manipulation. Guilt the class pres into heading it up. It's their responsibility to organize the reunion anyway. If that person is a total loser and not going to do it, there is always putting a buzz in your friends' ears that you still keep in touch with. Use some cheeky diaglogue with them, "Gosh I can't believe we aren't having a reuion. You should organize that, I'll help." Then, don't help and just show up. But that's not your style. There's my random thought of the evening, good night!

Becca said...

My 10 year was like 5 years ago. You youngin' you!

Josh n Betsie said...

Oh katie but there are plans. August 22nd. I guess everyone who is on facebook knows about it. email me if you want info
jbsayers at netzero dot com

TRS said...

That is weird.
In my school, it's whoever was class president, vice president who is in charge of organizing the reunion.

I went back to my 10th - even though I hated high school and most of the people in it... it was worthwhile. Very interesting to see everyone ten years later. All the popular kids all fat and stuff. It was great!

Dani said...

I may be a little late on the 10 year reunion bit...but I just wanted to let you know that I felt the same way after high school...I'll never go back, but I had that little tug on my heart about a year ago. Ours was last summer and I do not regret being there. Time of my life! Absolute blast! We all can't wait to get back together. Hope they get something put together for you. Then, you should go!

Kathy said...

As Betsie stated, the reunion just got planned a few weeks ago. Mike Robinson is heading up most of the planning, but it's all been done through facebook. Which brings me to my next (and technically first) question...When are you going to join the rest of us on facebook? ;o) Hope you are planning on not ditching!!