Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Realization

Last night I was feeling nostalgic.

I was missing the warm pre-summer nights I spent during my undergrad. The nights where I found myself sitting around with a group of people that made me laugh until my sides hurt. The nights were I decided at 10:30 it was the perfect time to walk across my neighborhood to get a cherry Slurpee. The nights I felt little real stress and no real responsibility. The nights that were pretty much mine alone. The nights where I wasn't accountable to anyone or anything.


Then I realized....I was actually in the middle of one of those nights. I was with my ear doctor who, to me, is hilarious. We'd worked together for a couple of hours building a flower planter that was totally unnecessary and frivolous. We decided to make a late, quick run the McDonald's to get ice cream cones. We watched the sun sink down as we walked our dog around the apartment complex. Our bills had been easily paid and our house was clean enough.



And who really wants to be alone or unaccountable anyway?

3 comments:

Katharina said...

Beautiful sentiment. I agree wholeheartedly.

Mrs. Architect said...

Your evening sounds like a slice of heaven!

Becca said...

Ahhh, yes, the days of no children. I am drooling with envy. Enjoy your spontinaity. I love my children, but nostalia kicks in every once in a while.