Thursday, May 28, 2009

Why do I always get the mystery flavor?

At BYU where I earned my undergraduate degree there is a long, long, long set of stairs up from the athletic building up to the rest of campus. At the beginning of my college career running up those stairs was a feat. Coming from the altitude bereft Washington to the heights of Utah, I found myself huffing and puffing on a regular basis.

By the end of my scholastic time there I was able to leap up those steps, taking often taking two at a time. I was quite proud of my hard earned ability.

Except, of course for the one time I was running late to class (as usual). It was that day that I learned the lethal combination of cheap rubber flip flops and wet cement stairs. The pain of hard, unforgiving stairs pounding into the small of my back is not an easily forgotten sensation.

So when I was running late to a meeting this afternoon, wearing flip flops and, once again, practically flying down concrete stairs with metal-tipped corners the following thought actually crossed my mind, "Katie. Slow down. If you fell right now this mystery flavored dum dum in your mouth might actually smash through the soft back of your throat and impale your brain."

And so I slowed down. I'd hate to render myself brain-dead at work. How embarrassing....

6 comments:

Mo said...

I don't like taking risks. I usually skip the mystery flavor and go straight for the cherry.

I too have slipped in flip flops in the rain! In college! Except I didn't slip on concrete (ouch! you poor thing!) I slipped in the middle of a really muddy park and a nice homeless woman helped me up and wiped my muddied legs with donation clothes.

I'm glad you slowed down and are not brain dead.

Megan said...

those stairs truly were daunting. i climbed them every day my senior year at BYU and was still out of breath by the end of it. bravo to you for running them.

and bravo to you for slowing down and not empaling your brain. Although if you had empaled your brain on the steps at BYU with a dum dum you totally would have made it into the police beat and that would have been pretty cool.

made sweet said...

oh geez. that sounds painful.

Katharina said...

That's right girl--safety first. Besides, I'd sure as heck want to be able to finish that dum-dum.

Texasholly said...

Oh, how I remember those stairs well. Going from Texas to Utah made those stairs almost impossible to climb initially. What I loved about them is that I always ran into someone I knew while climbing (or descending) them.

Janna said...

Awesome. I thought I was the only person masochistic enough to run up those stairs...