Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Something I love

At church I am in charge of organizing and holding "activity day." I love this responsibility more than I have any other job I've volunteered for.

For this job I organize 2 activity days a month for all the little girls in our congregation. If they are between the ages of 8 and 12 they are all mine for two hours a month. They are all SO sweet and just a joy for me to be around. They remind me of the girl I was at their age and give me a chance to have a positive influence in other people's lives. Its great.

In addition to calling and reminding their parents, every other week I mail them each a personal invitation to the activity. I love the idea of them going out to the mail box and seeing something with their name on it. Who doesn't love getting real mail?

Anyway, putting together the invitation has become a slight obsession for me. It's a great, low pressure, easy way to try my hand at a little graphic design. Since I've never really been trained in any kind of design (other than engineering), what I've been doing is finding other people's posters, wedding announcements, party invitations, ect. and duplicating their ideas. I figure that's OK because (1) imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, (2) everybody starts riding a bicycle with training wheels and (3) I'm not making any money off other people's ideas.

Here's what I came up with this week:




Inspired by:



Hmmmmm, maybe I should tweak the colors a little still?

6 comments:

Stephanie Aurora Clark Nielson said...

very creative

TRS said...

o cute!!!

I agree. There is not a person out there who doesn't love to see personally addressed mail... real mail... (not bills, not junk mail) with their name on it.
And little kids especially!
I know as a little kid nothing was quite as exciting as hearing, "there is mail for you." when you come in the door from school!

For that reason, when I was traveling for work, I'd send my nieces and nephew postcards every trip. They loved getting them... and I thought it would inspire them to think... "Cape Cod? where's that?" and pull out an atlas.
Ah... a teachable moment!

Fun fun!

k said...

how cute!

Anonymous said...

i like it. :)

Anth said...

Very cute. I think you are exactly right about mail, especially to an 8- to 12-year-old girl!

That sounds like a great calling. I teach Sunday School to the 15-year-olds and...let's just say I am looking forward to January when I get the next crop of kids (much better behaved, I hear).

cropstar said...

how fun! what a great idea to send invites. that's great that you love being with those girls so much. i'm sure they love being with you too!!