Monday, February 25, 2008

How I spent my Saturday morning

I showed up Saturday morning not really knowing what to expect. To be perfectly honest, I didn't really want to go. I wanted to sleep in and make breakfast for ear doctor and maybe go to the early $5 movie or something.

But I went. I went because I said I would and because I knew people were counting on me. And I absolutely refuse to flake on people if I can help it at all.

Begrudgingly I pulled on my running shoes, threw the rats nest of my hair up into an (unwashed) ponytail and headed out.

As soon as I entered the gym and saw the 45 little girls sitting excitedly in a huge circle a wave of nostalgia hit me. I remembered the uncountable hours I spent as a little girl at school/girl scout/church functions similar to the one these girls were about to experience. I remembered having hula hoop competitions and making crazy crafts. I remembered running under and tucking the edges of a parachute so that my friends and I were surrounded by a slowly deflating rainbow-colored world. I remembered it all, and I got really excited for them to make similar memories for themselves.

After eating french-toast sticks covered in gooey syrup, playing an intense game of musical chairs and teaching 50+ girls two dance routines I was beat. My body was exhausted but my heart was full of three things:

1. Admiration for mothers of 10 year olds. Where do you get the energy?
2. People who care enough about the health of future generations to organize a program that encourages exercise and fitness without receiving any sort of compensation for themselves.
3. How lucky I am to be part of such a great group of people.

1 comment:

Far From Perfect said...

that's really neat that you did that. young girls need to see positive women, other then their mothers...