Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Blogger to Blogger


This week my dear friend Allison is reporting in from Texas. Now, normally I wouldn't interview someone who has a "by invitation only" blog since I think it cuts down on the fun for everyone who hasn't had a chance to read about the guest, but Allison is just too cool NOT to interview! Seriously, I've been reading her blog for years now and if I had to pick internet/blog people to meet in person she would easily be in the top 5.


Katie asked: Dating older men. Does age matter? How old is too old?


Allison answered: To me, age is just a number, because everyone is different. Mr. Big is quite a bit older, but most of the time when I'm around him I forget this, because of his spunk and spirit. And man, he's in better shape than ME! I find myself trying to keep up with HIM! As far as dating goes, it's kind of nice because it seems like there is less pressure. I'm just taking things one day and enjoying the moment, and he's completely cool with that.

Along the same lines, but not specific to dating, my roomie is another great example of someone significantly older than me who I see as my age. I hardly ever think about how old he is and what a great difference there is between us. In the opposite spectrum, you would think my mother is older than HER mother. It makes me sad for her, because her attitude toward life makes her seem and act a decade or two older than what she really is. All of this to say, I think age is a state of mind. A part of me still feels 18 at times. I have to stop and think, "wow, am I REALLY an adult??"


Katie asked: If you had the time/access to take classes, what 3 new skills would you like to acquire?


Allison answered: First I would take classes to achieve a masters of science in engineering. Second, I would take classes to achieve a PhD in engineering. (I think) I ultimately would love to teach at the collegiate level, so both of these are plans/dreams of mine. Third, would probably be Spanish classes. I would love to be fluent in another language and as beautiful as French and Italian are, I think Spanish is the most practical for potential every day use. (And I'm cheating and naming a 4th choice: ballroom dancing!)


Katie asked: You recently ended a long and very serious relationship. What have you found eases the pain the best? Is there anything someone did that you think specifically helped?


Allison answered: I think the key is always focusing on the positive and remembering that life can always be worse. I count my blessings daily. I have so many of them. From the little things like a fun new pair of heels, to the big ones like my great support system in my girlfriends.

These have been specific thought choices I have made recently: I could go to bed thinking about how sad I am that I'm alone, or I can be thank full that I have such a comfortable bed and that I can sprawl out and have the whole thing to myself! I could be scared about being single ("oh no, what if I end up alone forever??"), or I can think of the endless travel possibilities out there that are now cheaper with no one to plan around. It's all about which end of the binoculars you view life through.

I think positivity is the key to life, and I firmly believe that's why I'm so lucky. My mom is probably the one person who has been the most influential person in my life - in such a way that I don't want to be like her and end up like her. I love my mother with all my heart, but she is my life example of how harboring hurt, anger, jealousy, negativity and bitterness can affect you. At some point, every one is dealt a bad hand in life. It's up to YOU to trade in a couple cards to make it better. It's either that or fold. I choose to play. Life can be too fun and exciting!


...and then...


Allison asked: Your sense of style is very classy and flattering to your physique, yet is fun and fetching. What/who influenced your fashion? What are your top favorite stores/brands?


Katie answered: Wow! What a nice compliment! To the ear doctor and myself, the highest compliment you can pay someone is to call them classy...so thanks!


If I had a ton of money and the life style I'd wear Grace Kelly inspired looks every day of the week. However, that's really not practical for me...a 50's sun dress does not really blend well in machine shops. As a result I like to go for a Kathrine Hepburn vibe...I love wide-leg trousers and button down cotton shirts. That's my uniform really.


This look is kind of hard to achieve for me. I don't have the patience to shop vintage. Anthropologie is too expensive and often the pieces are not structured enough for my taste. Jcrew is lovely, but I'm realizing most of their clothes are designed for straight, linear body styles...not a great compliment for my hourglass shape. Banana is usually where I end up...but I often wish they'd use more interesting colors and prints.

Allison asked: I seem to have forgotten, so remind me: How did you and the ear doctor meet? And was there a specific moment where you realized he was IT, and that you did not want to live without him? If so, what was that moment?

Katie answered: The ear doctor and I met at church. It was probably a Thursday evening after work at bible study type activity. He'd just moved to Colorado and didn't really know anyone. I walked up to him and asked him for his phone number.

I honestly don't remember having a moment when I realized he was "the one." All I know is that our first date together felt so right. We were so similar and fit each other like gloves. It freaked me out because I was applying for grad schools all over the country and wasn't ready to figure someone else into my plans. Staying here for school and marrying him is the best choice I've made in my life this far.

Allison asked: You have previously asked several bloggers about their thoughts regarding blogging being narcissistic. This recurring subject makes me wonder if that has been a contention for you? If so, in what way?

Katie answered: I always ask that question because I think it's so interesting and everyone's answers always fascinate me. This blogging medium is one of a kind. So personal...yet so detached.

I never thought of it as being narcissistic at first. I am notoriously horrible at talking on the phone and keeping my mom/extended family in touch with what I'm doing. So in the beginning it was an easy way for me to let them know what I'm up to. And I guess that's kind of self-centered thinking that they'd take time out of their day to read up on me without any seeming interest in their life on my part. But, my family loves me...I knew they'd be interested.

And now? Strangers read this blog! They're interested in the ear doctor and I. And that feels good. But here's the flip side...I read OTHER people's blogs. I'm interested in what they have to say...what they ate...how their kids are growing up...everything.

Blogging has moved beyond individuals writing about their daily lives thereby elevating their mundane tasks. It's a community. Each blogger contributes to the community by posting and commenting as much or as little as they like. It's not about, "LOOK AT MY GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH..ISN'T IT THE BEST!" It's about, "I had grilled cheese and it made me feel happy like I did when I was a kid, and I bet you know how that feels, and, look, we're sharing a memory!"

4 comments:

Mrs. Architect said...

How fun! I'm SO excited you picked me to do one of these!!

If anyone who reads your blog wants to read mine, they can email me and ill add them to the list: allison.franz@gmail.com

Mrs. Architect said...

And I LOVE my little stick figure!! ...if only I had that dolce dress and those louboutin shoes!!! :-) Too bad my beer budget doesn't agree with my champagne taste!

I agree with you on Anthropologie clothes not having enough structure. I find that to be a problem with most clothes out there nowadays. That boho chic look is NOT for me.

Mindy said...

I read strangers' blogs...like yours, since I have only met you once. I also find it strange that I can look at strangers' pictures on Facebook. When we post our thoughts, feelings, and pictures on the net, it's really out there for the whole world to see. I also try not to think about that too much while I write on my own blog, or else I would be much too intimidated to write anything at all. But I'm glad that people are willing to share. That community you speak of can be so uplifting.

Smart Girl said...

Love your blogger to blogger!! AND now I have found a great new blog to read also