Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Attempting to NOT be the most annoying person

Here's a question for all of you.

When you attend a dinner party do you help do the dishes after?

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I can't pin point the exact circumstance that tips me over the edge into feeling like it is OK to sit and keep my hands out of scalding water. Sometimes it just doesn't seem like the right thing to do, and other times it seems perfectly alright. Sometimes I can tell the hostess genuinely doesn't want my help.


It's really weird, because whenever anyone offers to help me clean up afterward I always love it. So using that logic, I should always be the first to jump up, grab a scrubbie and get to work. Because, I seriously don't mind dishes at all.



(Except for last night when I just couldn't bring myself to do anything besides sit my tired potato-sack-of-a-body down on the couch and watch Idol....BTW....I'm I the only person in America who finds this person so annoying they want to poke their eyeballs out every time they see him? )




So back to the question at hand, is it ALWAYS good manners to help someone clean up after a dinner party, or are the circumstances where its alright to let them sit?

9 comments:

Maggie said...

I know mom's going to totally disagree, but I would rather not have help to do the dishes after dinner. I would rather just take them into the kitchen and do them another day and get back to the "party". Honestly. So when people offer to help, I thank them and think highly of them, but when I turn it down I really mean it.

Anonymous said...

agreed!! why do the judges like him so much?! he SCREAMS!! and he is totally NOT current- in my humble opinion :)

Annie said...

I can't stand him either. He REPULSES me.

TRS said...

I can't think of anything I despise more than washing dishes by hand.

If they have a dishwasher, I'm happy to help load... but outside of that... let 'em sit.

Careful, at my house - if you offer you might just end up doing them yourself!!

Anonymous said...

yuck -o. the judhes act like the only person that could win is someone who eats up the stage & all the scenery. whatever happened to low key coolness?

sorry - i know you don't know me but I HAD to chime in...he bugs me that bad.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha. He's my cousin's former roommate/castmate.

Can't help but love him, to be honest. I think he's in the process of turning down the screaming (Satisfaction was pretty over the top) and, having seen him sing live, I can promise you that he's got a great set of pipes.

All that being said? Not sure he quite fits the Idol formula.

...and I help clean up, usually. Depending on closeness, I'll ignore the hostess's refusal to let me help (when appropriate).

Anonymous said...

OMG, I LOVE him. Just LOVE him. No one on this show has more talent then him. And he is SO current!!!

Had to chime in as well! Love your blog!

Heidi from Chicago!

Anonymous said...

Yes! please help. I am too tired to move another muscle.

Greatgrandma Jane

Lindsey from The R House said...

mr. r can't stand him either ...or his eyeliner.