Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Not as great as the real thing....

The stone in my wedding ring is the same that my husband's grandmother wore for 50 plus years of a pretty picture perfect marriage. When he decided to ask me to marry him, his lovely grandmother who I love as much as my own grandparents offered the stone to him.

I can't tell you how touched I was to receive such a personal gift. I'm still a bit overwhelmed.

As a result, I make sure that I only wear the ring places I am sure there is absolutely no risk of loosing it/having it stolen. I don't wear it on vacation, I don't wear it hiking or camping, and I slip it off whenever I go into a sketchy neighborhood. Basically, I don't wear it unless I know I'll be sleeping in my own bed.


Which is why it would be nice to get a back-up ring. This little beauty would be a nice stand in....



Don't you think?

(seen on Bunnyshop)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not big enough

Unknown said...

No big enough!! What? Come on Uncle Greg. I like it. Check out this website, http://www.sundancecatalog.com/CATEGORY/Jewelry/Rings.html?pfstep=results, it's where we got my wedding ring.

Katharina said...

Katie's dad, you are a good man.

Unknown said...

I meant to say "Not," obviously.

MSmith said...

See your previous post - you might have to bag the ring if you spring for the house.

Derrick said...

Or you COULD just wear your wedding ring. We recently inherited a large amount of incredibly ornate antique Asian furniture. I was TERRIBLY worried I would damage the stuff to the point that its functionality was entirely lost. Then I slapped myself in the face and remembered that it's just STUFF, and if I don't risk damaging it in order to actually enjoy it... what's the point of having it in the first place!?

My advice - don't be careless, but enjoy your ring to the MAX and if something does happen - it's just stuff. You can't take it with you when you leave this life.

Mrs. Case said...

Is it ever big enough? Your dad is a sweet man to want his daughter have swoon-worthy gems.

I, too, worried about my wedding ring meeting an ill demise. Even though it is not an antique, it was custom made and sizeable. Thus, I had a separate wedding band made, which is what I wear when I am feeling fearful. I didn't know you didn't have two separate rings.

I think the story of your ring is just great. :)