Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Mamma needs a new pair of shoes

Lately I've had a few friends tell me that I am crazy for not making any money off my blog. And up to this point I didn't think there was anyone out there who was actually willing to pay me something for my time.

To be perfectly honest, I still seriously doubt it.


But it's got me thinking. When does it make sense to start garnering an income from one's blog? And if you do start taking money is there an unseen force compelling you to write more, or to alter your style or content?

I kind of like the freedom of writing whatever and whenever I want. I like knowing that I could just drop off the blogosphere without any repercussions (ahem, COURTNEY).

But, lets call it like it is, I'm not the type of genuine artiste who requires freedom to explore the craft of the written word. I've got no hoity toity morals that prevent me from being paid for my talents.



Lots to think about..

1 comment:

Robyn said...

As one who makes a bit of money from my blog, (please see link above), I can say it hasn't changed what I write about. I could see how it might though - when I posted about my plumbing problems, I was making almost $2 per click!! The Gerber ads that usually run on my site are much less profitable but that doesn't mean I'm going to throw "rotor-rooter" and "raw sewage" into my everyday blog conversation...

I figure the friends and family who mostly read my blog wouldn't begrudge me a couple of seconds of their time viewing ads as long as I put up new pics of the baby, (or in your case maybe that translates to cute puppy pictures)!