Monday, March 02, 2009

ramma-lamma-ding-dong

This weekend the ear doctor and I helped out a friend the best way we know how. By lending a hand.


One of the ear doctor's dear friends had to go through something I hope I never have to experience again. The heartache of love lost. Instead of putting the finishing touches on her wedding plans she found herself Saturday morning packing her belongings and moving out of the house she thought would be hers forever. And she seemed to have it all under control.

I would have been a mess.


As we quickly moved box after box I thought about the heartaches I've experienced in my life...

...recollected the way a boy I really really liked used me as a friend and tossed me aside when it was inconvenient

...remembered the exact moment someone I loved rejected me, accused me of not being spiritual enough for him

...recalled the feeling of cool grass under my fingers that I enjoyed a second before realizing that the boy sitting next to me was dropping a bomb right into the lap of my sky blue capri pants


And the I remembered something my mom told me when I was 14. She said, most relationships don't work out. Most people date many times before they find someone to commit to. The ending of a relationship doesn't mean that either person isn't valuable or great. It usually doesn't mean that they or you did something wrong. It simply means that the combination of the two wasn't a good fit.

And judging from my personal experience she is dead on. All of the past guys in my life weren't a good fit for me. I'm so glad they realized it and had the courage to break up with me. They are all amazing people and I cherish what I learned from spending time from them.

And even more, I cherish that they let me go so I could find the ear doctor, love of my life, the yin to my yang, the peanut butter to my jelly.


I sincerely hope this is the situation our friend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,
Just wanted to say: This post really meant a lot to me.
e.

Anonymous said...

katie, you gave me goosebumps. thanks so much for everything this weekend. you're right about everything and your help meant a lot to me!
i'm going to copy your post and send it to t. and i can't believe i made it onto my favorite blog ;) hopefully it will happen again for something much happier.

j

TRS said...

THanks for the reminder.
Rejection sometimes feels as if - if you are not right for that person - or the one before him or the one after him - that maybe you (meaning me) just aren't right for anyone and it hurts.

That is when it is important to realize that sometimes rejection is protection. I have to believe that.

My friend postponed her wedding from June to July last year... then before July came, they broke up altogether.
She is still heartbroken but it was a major relief to finally hear her say that she is really glad she didn't marry him.

I am thrilled that she didn't marry him... it was clearly the wrong match. But that's so hard to say to a friend.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being a great friend to my daughter!! She is so fortunate.

p