Thursday, September 18, 2008

Finding truth

One of the truly satisfying experiences in my life come when science agrees with what I learn at church.


So often they seem at odds.


As a pretty logical educated person, this can be difficult for me. But I find that in the struggle to understand the seeming disparity I grow as a person and am granted enlightenment beyond my own powers of deduction. Usually I am able to settle the difference in my mind, or lean on my faith to bridge the gap.

However, when leading scientists in their field do it for me it satisfies me my very core.

Yesterday I was clicking around and was floored by this quote I read:

The initial organization of the brain does not rely that much on experience...Nature provides a first draft, which experience then revises...'Built-in' does not mean unmalleable; it means organized in advance of experience." written by leading neuroscientist Dr. Marcus Kaiser.



I was seriously beaming all afternoon after reading this. Am I just the biggest nerd in the world, or what?





***And if you're going to leave a rude or mean comment, save yourself the time and trouble, I'm a quick deleter****

4 comments:

Mrs. Case said...

Good quote. I think people of various religions can find inspiration in this.

Heather said...

I am totally with you. I absolutely LOVED studying biology at BYU. Being able to learn about controversial topics in a somewhat religious setting totally built up my faith. Having professors declare after a lecture that what he just taught strengthens his faith in God was pretty awesome.

{Erica} said...

Just copied that quote down for myself. Made me beam as well....BIO NERD ROCK!! (married a bio major and am one myself :D)

Anonymous said...

Intellect stiffles humility. Faith proceeds the miracle.