Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Say it aint so

I didn't understand this movement in fashion when I first saw it zooming down the slopes. Bandannas turned around so they hang like some kind of bank robber/necklace. I didn't understand why those snowboarders didn't just wear a scarf? But, I kind of understood the appeal of being able to shove it up and down when an inclement drift of powder comes face on. In my mind there was a function, so I shrugged my shoulders and let it go.


However.


Lately I've been seeing this fashion moving into the mainstream. Girls wearing large fringed bandannas instead of jewelry. Is it supposed to be a nod to the Arabic keffiyeh? Somehow I doubt it. This is a look I just can't get behind. I think it's weird.


And now, at fashion week, this:




A bandanna with a gown? Huh? I don't get it. If it's warm enough to go with a strapless gown there is really no need for a scarf, now is there?

Is this so that she can hold up everyone at a ritzy party for their wallets and jewels and make a speedy, anonymous get away?

5 comments:

Mrs. Case said...

I am not feeling the bandana look, either. The dress would've been pretty except for the monstrosity they attached to it.

Katie said...

I agree. I think the dress is pretty stunning.

{Erica} said...

dig the dress...not so much the scarf....k wait...totally not the scarf :)

Anonymous said...

My friend is an expert on all things hipster. She could explain the bandana to you. :)
http://strictlysatire.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

ha. This morning I couln't decided to bandana it or not. I went with it.