Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Say it aint so

I didn't understand this movement in fashion when I first saw it zooming down the slopes. Bandannas turned around so they hang like some kind of bank robber/necklace. I didn't understand why those snowboarders didn't just wear a scarf? But, I kind of understood the appeal of being able to shove it up and down when an inclement drift of powder comes face on. In my mind there was a function, so I shrugged my shoulders and let it go.


Lately I've been seeing this fashion moving into the mainstream. Girls wearing large fringed bandannas instead of jewelry. Is it supposed to be a nod to the Arabic keffiyeh? Somehow I doubt it. This is a look I just can't get behind. I think it's weird.

And now, at fashion week, this:

A bandanna with a gown? Huh? I don't get it. If it's warm enough to go with a strapless gown there is really no need for a scarf, now is there?

Is this so that she can hold up everyone at a ritzy party for their wallets and jewels and make a speedy, anonymous get away?


CageQueen said...

I am not feeling the bandana look, either. The dress would've been pretty except for the monstrosity they attached to it.

Katie said...

I agree. I think the dress is pretty stunning.

eRiCa said...

dig the dress...not so much the scarf....k wait...totally not the scarf :)

Anonymous said...

My friend is an expert on all things hipster. She could explain the bandana to you. :)

nicole said...

ha. This morning I couln't decided to bandana it or not. I went with it.