Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Like a peach

My senior year of college I had one very best friend. His name was Jeff and I thought he was the coolest kid on the block. We did everything together: homework, mid-day trips to Costco for $1.50 hot dogs and samples, 7-11 Slurpee runs. When my dumb, overdramatic relationship with someone else fell apart I was down in the dumps. To cheer me up, he suggested we take an awesome road trip to San Diego. We did it for Valentines weekend. It was a perfect way to remove myself from hurt feelings and Provo in general. His friendship saved that entire last year.


One day we were walking through the halls at school and he noticed I had a strange bruise on my shin. He asked what happened and I gave him the same response I always give to this question, "I don't really remember."


This kind of blew him away. The thing is, I bruise so easily that I never remember how I get them. I told him this to his incredulous face and he didn't believe me. I insisted that almost anything will give me a bruise. To test my posit, he balled up both fists and lightly punched me in both of my biceps.


It didn't really hurt, but boy did he feel bad for the entire next week when I had two exactly matching bruises on each arm.


You all probably don't believe me, right. Well just check this out:




Yup, what you are seeing on my right forearm is a huge bruise the size of a ping pong ball. I have no idea what happened.

You can just go ahead and call me the queen of graceful now.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the same way! I ran into the corner of a chair yesterday and I can't WAIT to see the bruise that is going to turn up from it. When I worked in retail I had so many bruises people began to think I was a battered woman. Craziness.

TRS said...

I am starting to bruise easier as I get older. There's one on my leg right now that has me utterly bewildered.

A few years ago - I was still friends with a guy I had dated. It was summer (and 1998 so shorts were REALLY short) and sitting on the couch.. the shorts rode up a little more revealing a giant bruise on my upper thigh.
He asked me about it and when I said I didn't know - he got really serious... "Are you dating someone who hurts you?"
Aw. That was sweet of him to be concerned.

The next day at work, when I was pulling camera equipment out of the car and rested the tripod against my thigh - I remembered that a tripod had clocked me a few days earlier! Ah... just the right height... and with a very heavy metal head. Ow!

Anonymous said...

i bruise really easily too. my mom or joe will point them out to me, and i have no idea where they came from.

Katharina said...

Well, "peach girl", that is the pits. (Forgive me, I couldn't pass it up!)
But at least your hair is glossy & good-lookin'!

Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

I have the same problem. Although I sometimes remember where I get the bruises--mostly the ones that hurt a lot. I do worry that people will think that my husband is not as nice as I make him out to be. He is, I swear! I'm just very, very clumsy. Ask my mom.

Also, I must agree with greeneyes. The hair is fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I don't really see a bruise, just a few extra freckles.

Anonymous said...

Hee, I see this has been noted by others, but man - I can barely SEE your bruise, I am BLINDED by the pretty shine of your hair! ;)

Katie said...

Jeez, guys. The bruise is really dark, but it didn't photograph that well.

Thanks for being so nice about my hair. (blushes)

Anth said...

And then there's my husband, who can never remember where large scratches come from. "Dh! You bled on your pillow last night!" I grab his arm, where a long bloody scratch newly resides. "What happened to your arm?!" His response: "Huh."