Thursday, October 14, 2004

Ready to be poked

Last night we had a blood drive at our institute building. I really like giving blood. I was always scared of it, and, to be honest, it still kind of freaks me out. It makes me feel like I helped someone else out in some small way and that makes me feel good.

Anyway, I always get a little nervous when I sit in the chair. The guy doing my needle insertion seemed pretty nice, and since I use flirting as a way to calm down I set to work. Pretty soon we were joking around. When he was making that big circle of iodine on my arm he made a joke about that being his target. Immdeiately I was freaked out. The circle was about the size of an orange and my veins I KNOW are not that large. Anyway, I started freaking out, he had to elevate my feet, and I said in a high and wavery voice, "oh no, I'm totally THAT girl."

Anyway, the blood went fine, but slowly. I must have really low blood pressure or something.

After the drive I sat around and chatted with some people. For the first time ever I talked to Kat.

Here's the 411 on Kat:
  • She got her PhD in neroscience (one smart cookie)
  • She used to teach sunday school. She was the best teacher I've ever had in my life. She really made me think about stuff.
  • She didn't get married until after she got her PhD, so she is one of those cool "you don't have to get married young" kind of people.
  • She's way into "crafty" stuff, but not the kind of crafty stuff where you just take your junk and turn it into more junk. She knits and crochets and throws pottery and makes hand dipped chocolates.
  • She expresses her emotions by crying.

There are a ton more things, but these things remind me so much of myself that I always thought we could be really good friends.

Last night I invited myself to go up to her house and crochet with her every Tuesday night. I really want to make a cool afghan, and since she is the resident queen of the needles, we decided to start kind of a club of sorts. I hope it works out and is fun.

1 comment:

Mika said...

Making afgans is really fun, giving blood I doubt is nearly as fun, but at least you met someone cool. :) If Kat knows how to do Swedish Weaves you should learn to do that too. They make wonderful gifts, and don't take as long as crocheting a whole afgan.