Monday, September 17, 2007

Finally!

When I was in middle school my friends had a pool.

In Washington State, where I grew up, this was unheard of. No one had a pool. It just isn't sunny enough there to justify the effort and expense, but my friends had a pool. I remember going over there almost every day during the summer and swimming and having a great time.

I would hook my legs up over the side of the pool and push myself down into the water until I was totally upside down, my back touching the unexpected coolness of ceramic tile. I would open my eyes and look up through the water to the trees, clouds and the side of their house. All of these images would be familiar, and yet completley foreign in their wiggly new shapes.

This is one of the calmest, most serene memories I have.

Which is probably why I've fallen head over heals in love with Lorraine Shemesh's work.

Beautiful, no?

No comments: