Wednesday, November 07, 2007

And then there were 3

Every morning the ear doctor wakes up before me. He has to be at work earlier than I do and his work is much farther away than mine is. Lately I've asked him to wake me up before he leaves so that we can have breakfast together. Sometimes I'm bad, really tired, and refuse to get up. I feel like a bad little wife on those days.

I thought this morning would be one of those mornings.

When he leaned over me in bed to wake me up I almost felt like it wouldn't be possible. I cracked my sleep covered eyes open to let in a little light and geared up my most tired/pathetic face. However, when I saw the glint in his eye I knew that this morning was special and different. He asked me, "do you know what today is?"

Half awake, brain barely moving I tried to race through my mental Rolodex to remember what today was....Wednesday? your birthday? my birthday? Christmas? No.

"It's November 7th," he excitedly reminded me.

Then it clicked. Exactly 3 years ago we decided we would exclusively date. Today is our 3 year DATING anniversary. I was under the impression that after you get married that day kind of falls by the wayside.....not at our house.

I got out of bed and went into the kitchen where the guy of my dreams had made us bacon, eggs and maple pecan waffles! He also got me a pumpkin candle (that I've been wanting for a month) and a very nice card. In the card he explained that even though we are now married he never wanted to stop "dating" me. That's why he wanted to keep celebrating today.

(I'll pause while you are all overcome with jealousy that he is so AWESOME!)

So I ate my breakfast, smelled my candle and thought about how lucky I am to have found a guy like ear doctor. Seriously? One in a million!

12 comments:

Anth said...

From the title of this post, I thought you were about to announce something verrrrrry different. I almost stopped breathing.

Katie said...

I knew that would trick some people.....(insert wicked little smile here)

Katharina said...

That is sooo awesome. My husband remembers our first date anniversary every year, while I feel like a loser when I realize I've forgotten it yet again. (Ours is Nov. 3!) Sentimental hubbies are a wonderful gift--congratulations!

TRS said...

You HAVE found yourself a great guy! If he keeps this up, you guys will truly ENJOY 50, 60, 70 years together.

TRS said...

Wait a minute! Something is wrong with this story!

How can you possibly sleep through the smell of bacon cooking? Is that possible?

The Barkers said...

I thought you were going to say that he got you a puppy! Ha ha. I knew it couldn't be the other. (wink) I'm so proud of the ear doctor remembering dates! The only reason Matt can remember when we met is because we met on Valentine's Day....maybe there's a reason it happened that way. Congrats on your big day! Let us know what else he does!! (because we all know there WILL be more - and I swear that's not jealousy) Love ya!

Derrick said...

Dude! He's totally making the rest of us hubbies look bad! I sure hope my wife doesn't come across this blog...

Lindsey said...

That is so cute! I have issues with getting out of bed too, but I'm sure I'd get up for that.

Jessica said...

We still celebrate our dating anniversary too. I think it helps you remember the foundation of your relationship. And we were together for 8 1/2 years before we got married, so why would we want to ignore such a big chunk of our lives together?

And bacon is awesome.

Anonymous said...

Just for the ear doc,
If your right ear itches, someone is speaking well of you.
If your left ear itches, someone is speaking ill of you.
Left for love and right for spite:
Left or right, good at night.

Anonymous said...

that's so sweeet! our dating anniversary is in november too. :)

Author said...

This is so great! What a wonderful husband, breakfast AND things that smell good? It doesn't get much better than that.