Monday, July 14, 2008

Disaster averted

Yesterday we were planning on having a new couple over to our house for dinner. I really like getting to know new people and it's always nice to have someone new to cook for. I called them on Friday to make sure they could still make it and if they were vegetarians, allergic to stuff, or picky eaters. Their response? "we pretty much eat anything."

SWOON.
This is music to my ears. With a response like that, they had to be cool, right?

I really like to make a dessert for Sunday dinner and immediately this cheesecake sprang to mind. I've never tried to make a cheesecake, so I thought I'd give it a whirl:


(s'mores cheesecake with summer berries)


Because I had a lot of commitments earlier in the day, I got up at 6 am to start this bad boy. Well, I had commitments and that is the time that Roscoe starts to get really nervous that he'll have an accident in his crate. In our house we do pretty much anything to avoid in-crate accidents. ANYTHING. By 8am I had a beautiful crust and baked cake, eagerly awaiting the oven browned marshmallow topping. I also had to leave the house for the day, so there is sat cooling on my counter top.

At around noon I saw that I had a message on my phone. It was my dinner guests apologizing profusely for the stomach flu that had sneaked up on them during the night. Graciously I assured them that it was totally fine and that we'd do it again some time.

I hung up that phone and was irrationally pissed. Not so much at them, but at the cruel gods who toy with my emotions so. I had a half finished cheesecake waiting for only a marshmallow topping and no one to serve it to. I threw up my hands in despair and decided that the ear doctor and I could do our best to down the sucker.

At around 8pm I finally had the time to finish it up. As I started putting things together I realized in horror that I didn't even have a teaspoon of sugar left anywhere in my house. Aghast, I peered into the bottom of my white ceramic container. I never run out of sugar. I have a compulsive personality when it comes to being fully stocked with necessary baking ingredients. HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED?!?!?!

And then I realized that it's a good thing they didn't come over. Can you imagine the horror of just being served chocolate cheesecake without the marshmallow topping? It would have crushed our fledgling friendship to smithereens.

4 comments:

Katharina said...

I too love Sunday baking! There are just two of us in our little family, so our friends usually get a phone call requesting assistance with a "service project" (a.k.a. finishing off and rating my baked goods). You're right--cooking is a great way to make friends.

Sooo...if you find yourself in need of some assistance in polishing off your potential culinary disaster, I think I could help you out. Heck, I could probably use some extra nibblers to reciprocate next time I bake, too. ; )

Anth said...

The horror, the horror!

I am always dismayed at myself when I run out of a basic baking supply too. When the urge to bake strikes me, I want to be able to walk into my kitchen and make something yummy, not have to run to the store first.

I salute your commitment to fine baking. I don't think I would wake up at 6 am to make something. I HATE waking up early.

Anonymous said...

You are so fun! Keep an eye open for a special package coming for you from me via William and Sonoma. It is just to say that "You are my sunshine" and Happy Katie Day.

Love
Mom

TRS said...

Bummer!

Ah... please don't lump those of us with stupid food allergies into the 'not fun' category. I promise, I'm a hoot!
The hives alone can be entertainment value.