Monday, July 28, 2008

Leaving

Lately there has been a lot of leaving in my life. And it's starting to get to me. In the past 2 weeks I've been to 2 going away parties for dear friends.


The first got a really great job in Baltimore so she's taking it. It's a great move for her and its' going to make her really happy. She's been one of my very best friends for the last 4 years. An amazing person, to the very core, she made me a better person for just knowing her.


The second? Her husband got a year long post doc position in Scotland. Yeah, COLOR ME JEALOUS! She was a person who I'd just recently met but could see years of real friendship ahead of me. I'm bummed that a real friendship is halted just in its infancy.


I get it that life moves on, it ebbs and flows. In my heart I understand that the picture in my head of "FRIENDS" doesn't really exist. Adults rarely stay in the same apartment for 10 years, surrounded by the same people doing the same thing. That's just not reality. People change, grow, move away and that's life. It just stinks sometimes, you know?

6 comments:

poodle said...

i saw lindy at church yesterday! i'm so excited that she's moving back here!!!

Katie said...

Treat her well, she's the coolest there is! I'm bummed she's leaving me.

k said...

i hear you. why can't we just all stay together forever?!?!

Katharina said...

I just found out I'm going to be moving, and I can say it stinks from this end, too. Just when you've auditioned some really great friends, you have to go re-casting your inner circle!

TRS said...

Aww. I feel for you - but I must (as the old lady around here) encourage you to widen your vision of friendship.

Some of my very best girlfriends are those who live furthest from me. Two of them I met a month or two before either she moved or I moved. They are the ones I talk to and email the most. They 'get' me more than anyone else. One of them is a true soulmate. The other is the truest and sincerest of friends. We are currently, respectively in San Francisco, Las Vegas, and Denver.

The other crazy thing -- all of my best girlfriends -- none of them know one another!
For my 40th Birthday I'm making everyone join me for a trip involving some serious spa time somewhere - and all my girls can finally meet.
Won't that be crazy?

Anonymous said...

I would totally be angling for a visit to Scotland, that is one way to work on the friendship!

Seriously though, I have the same issue with friendship. I desperately want that sort of circle of friends and with blog friends I'm able to live that a little, but IRL it's much more difficult to come by. It seems that some blog friendships are turning into real life friendships, so I'm hopeful that they will continue to grow.