Thursday, July 10, 2008

Top 100

I don't know what was going on, but my mind was somewhere else when I was attempting this recipe. I made about 3 or 4 stupid mistakes, and a huge mess and if they hadn't been so melty delicious, I would have called it a complete failure.

First mistake? I was supposed to SEED the tomatoes and FINELY chop them. I was a lazy, lazy bum, so you can see in this photo:




Second mistake? I forgot to brush the bread with olive oil before putting them in the oven to toast. I added it after the fact, and it turned out alright. I also spilled the toppings ALL OVER THE PLACE on my baking sheet. I am NOT a tidy cook.




Third mistake? I put the mint on top BEFORE putting it in the oven. This resulted in burnt up little crisps on top. Not very good. Luckily, I had extra mint leaves.




In the end they turned out very well





And the ear doctor and I both loved the melty salty garlicy goodness. The real gem in this is how smooth and gooey everything gets. Other times when I've had bruschetta the crostini is so hard and topping so dry that when you bite it the toppings go flying everywhere. In this recipe, the cheese really melts down and gets sticky so that toppings are there for every last glorious bite. Thanks for the idea poodle!









Reminder: If you want to join the club feel free! This link has a list of all the different recipes from Bonappetit's top 100 dishes that we're going to try. Leave a comment with your suggestion for next week's dish on this post. Friday afternoons I post the recipe for the following week and I review them on Thursdays.

No comments: