Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thanksgiving movie

As I've mentioned before, our family has a great tradition surrounding Thanksgiving.

No, I'm not talking about the necessary orange rolls, or the requisite 5 different kinds of pie. I'm not talking about the annual family Spoons tournament either.

I'm talking about the day after Thanksgiving.

When other people are waking up early to rush out and get good deals on Christmas presents, we are waking up, throwing on our most tacky/expressive Christmas attire and participating in TREE DAY!

Yes. Our family has created it's own holiday. It's a day where you wake up early and set out all of the Christmas decor.

I've already described it pretty well here, but I failed to mention a very important part of the day.

Around 3 in the afternoon everyone starts to loose steam. You can only wrap garland and hang ornaments so long before you start to go a little bit nutters. So, as an anti-insanity measure, we adopted the Thanksgiving movie tradition.

The only problem is that the Thanksgiving movie tradition had one critical component that won't be there this year. My uncle Mike picks the movie. That is his job. He picks it a month in advance so that no one sees the movie early and has it spoiled. The thing is that Uncle Mike didn't pick a movie. And he won't be there. And I miss him so much.

He passed away 2 weeks ago. And I miss him.

So now we have to pick a movie on our own to go see.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first holiday without a loved one is always the hardest. I enjoyed meeting your Uncle Mike last year even though he was not feeling his best. Maybe one of his boys will take over the selection process to keep the tradition alive. Life is about change, even for those of us who kick & scream against it sometimes.

Katie said...

Thanks Leanne. (I hope that's how you spell your name)

Heather said...

It's my Grandpa's ten year anniversary since he passed away this Thanksgiving, and the last holiday my family spent with my cousin before he committed suicide last year. It's a tough year, but we are happy that they are together this holiday too.
I know your Aunt and Uncle are so happy together.

Courtney said...

Sorry to hear about your Uncle.
:( Holidays can be tough reminders of lost loved ones. Hope your Tree Day went well.