Wednesday, February 25, 2009

p098uimn ik,j <-my forehead on the keyboard

In middle school I was part of Science Olympiad. If you weren't nerdy enough to be involved in this activity, let me explain it for you. A bunch of kids from all different schools spend all year practicing fun science-y things and then on one weekend they all get together and compete against each other.

If you've read more than 2 posts on this blog you'll probably see that this type of thing was MADE for me.

Geeky? Check. Competitive? Check. Social? Check.


Well, one of the events was a to build a mousetrap-type exhibit. The more different methods of energy transfer (physical contact, heat, wind, ect) the higher your score. For WEEKS I would wake up in the middle of the night with a great idea for the mousetrap device. I'd scribble them down on a piece of paper and fall back to sleep. Unfortunately, I could never decipher my midnight mad-scientist notes.

This waking-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night phenomenon has persisted into my adult life. Any tough problem I'm working on will invade my dreams and wake me with midnight epiphanies. When they're really good I can't get back to sleep.

Which explains why I was at work at 5:45 this morning.


And I hope my boss understands that when he swings by here at 2:30 and I'm passed out on my desk. Keyboard imprints in the forehead are the MOST professional part of my look.

4 comments:

Krillschin said...

WHAT? Known you all of this time and never knew we could have been competing simultaneously on different sides of the country? I think I still have my medals somewhere. Ha!

Stephanie said...

I loved Math and Science Olympiad. Hey wait where did you grow up? I seem to remember you saying something about parents in Washington? Maybe we were at the same ones. LOL

Lady Susan said...

I think there must be something in the air, or maybe the nations water supply, because I am incredibly sleepy today too. In fact, I pretty much dozed the entire 11 o'clock hour away.

Here is to a good power nap!

MSmith said...

still in my jammies :) gotta love working on the computer