Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Day 7

I remember when my mom first taught me to knit. It wasn't pretty. The first idem I attempted to create was a scarf. Instead of a long pretty rectangle of even perfect stitches it was more triangular and riddled with holes. Everytime I attempted to wear the dumb thing the loose loops of thread got caught and made even bigger holes. I eventually had to retire the sad little accessory and made another one.

With time I got much better and started doing fancy patterns like cablekit and adding flowers and stuff. I'm so grateful to my mom for teaching me how to do it because everytime I make something I think of her. It's pretty amazing to take a random ball of yarn and turn it into something you can actaully wear. How that single thread gets woven together and knotted up and eventually becomes a large piece of material that is so much stronger and more useful that what it used to be.



“To remain true and faithful through this mortal vale of tears, we must love God with all our heart, might, mind, and strength and love our neighbor as ourselves. … We must gather strength from each other. We must also ‘succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees’” --James E. Faust


“For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. … Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me” Matt. 25: 35–36, 40


To serve as a reminder of the power we have when each individual is cared for in a woven collective:


1.Woven ring $35 2.Mint chain circle scarf $50 3.Chalkboard pendant necklace $22 4.Farmer’s basket $80 5.Farrah indoor/outdoor rug $59-149

No comments: