Thursday, April 05, 2012

Lessons of age

Yesterday the ear doctor told me that Denver has a new radio station...Jammin 101.5. They play all of the best hits from the 90's, so basically every song that comes on reminds me of something from middle school. It's awesome.

Last night as I was driving some teenagers to our weekly church youth group NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK CAME ON THE RADIO! The right stuff...to be exact.

As I excitedly reached for the volume knob a hush fell over the usual teen chatter coming from the back seat.

About 30 seconds into the song one of the kids said, "who is this?"

To which I excitedly responded, "New Kids on the Block. Theirs was the first concert I ever went to.  My dad took me to see them when I was 8 years old and he bought me a blue bubblegum ice cream cone at the show"


The kind of looked at me with blank stares until one of the kids started singing the lyrics to the LFO song Summer Girls that references New Kids on the Block. So these kids were referencing a song written in 1999 in order to reference a boy band that released a song in 1988.


Yikes, I felt old.



Also, as  I listened to a song I once thought was awesome I realized that 8 year olds may not have the best taste in music...

...and that my dad is a hero for taking me to that horrible concert...

...and that maybe I shouldn't sing Bieber's Never Say Never at the top of my lungs to annoy my husband quite as frequently...

1 comment:

dad said...

That was a very good time.