Monday, August 25, 2008

Here goes nothing

The weekend before school started my senior year of high school I was invited to a party. It was a girls only party and was thrown by the most popular girls in school. To this day I don't really know why they invited me. I was a honors class, orchestra nerd who'd never even kissed a boy. I did not fit in there.

My mom thawed some zucchini chocolate chip cookies, handed me the plate and practically pushed me out the door. I was terrified. The whole way over I was a nervous, sweaty palmed mess. What was I doing thinking? I couldn't hold my own at this party.

As I drove up to the house my bravery failed. Who brings lame healthy homemade cookies to the coolest party of the year? A dork, like me, that's who. I sped on by hoping no one caught a glimpses of the incriminating Tasmanian Devil mud flaps that my dad insisted on hanging from the fenders of my 1983 red Ford Ranger. My mind flipped back and forth while I decided whether or not to go back and attend the party. I could just drive around for an hour and tell my mom I went. That way no one would ever know what happened. Surely no one would miss me.

Then, I realized was I being lame.


Nerves steeled, I slammed my foot on the clutch and spun that little truck around. My finger shook as I pushed the little white button. The sound of the doorbell reverberated in my ears. Seconds ticked by and I could feel my resolve slipping. Insecurities reared their ugly head. As my weight shifted, enabling me to run away in shame to the safety of my old moldy-smelling truck cab, the door flew open.

The girl who lived there and eventually was on the prom court took one look at me, smiled widely and said, "Are those homemade zucchini chocolate chip cookies?!?!?!? They're my favorite! I'm SOOOOOO glad you came!"




I sort of feel that way again. Design Mom is pretty much the most popular girl in school and she's decided to initiate NieNie day to benefit the author of one of my favorite blogs. Stephanie Nielson and her amazing husband were in a small airplane crash and need all the help they can get.

And guess what, Design Mom has invited me to come to the NieNie day party.

Me.

I'm not nearly as popular, nor do I have a pretty well-designed blog layout. But I do have something to share and would love to help make a difference.

So,

on Thursday I will be hosting a silent auction, along with a lot of other bloggers out there. If you have the means, please come and bid. I'm going to work it the same way Gabrielle is going to:

I'll write a post about the prize and then I'll leave the first comment, saying something like: I bid $1. The next person could comment: I bid $2. And so on.


As the auction progresses, bidders will need to check the most recent comments, to see what the current high bid is. I plan to leave the auction open through the weekend. Allowing bids through Sunday night.


Once the winning bidder is identified, they'll send money directly to the Stephanie & Christian Paypal fund. And I'll mail their prize.



Here's hoping someone out there really likes my homemade, semi-defrosted zucchini chocolate chip cookies.


Also, if someone would like to donate something to my auction, don't hesitate! Even if you think it is something small, every little bit helps. Leave a comment with your contact info and I'll be sure to get in touch!

7 comments:

Katharina said...

I started reading Stephanie's blog after a recommendation from you...and stopping by for a daily dose of her loveliness has become a habit. Count me in for some Nie love.
p.s. Nice new format

Jamie said...

Count me in - I've been looking for a way to help out Stephanie.

Alicia said...

I would love to donate something to your auction. Please email me at aliciadunn12 at gmail dot com. Thanks!!

Ashley Thalman said...

katie,
i have been seeing your comments on designmom and i just wanted to tell you good luck on your auction. i have linked your auction(and several others) on my blog. hopefully we can increase some traffic and get some $ for nie eh?

Katie said...

Yeah! Thanks so much for the link!

Tyra said...

Hey am I too late to donate something? I am sorry I am a retard.....I would LOVE TO DONATE A BEAU BEANIE and a BELLA BEANIE from www.accentsofbella.com

Odessa said...

i'm amazed by everyone's generosity all across the blogosphere. you are so awesome for doing this for nie. i wish i wasn't so broke right now, i would have participated. but she and her family are in my prayers.